help with darkwoods

joneyjmwNovember 20, 2012

In the interest of time, budget, and patience with the men in my life (dad and husband) I've decided to hold off on painting my kitchen cabinets white (so very dissapointed) but they can't stay the ugly orange wood color they are, so I'm going to stain them dark wood. My issue is what color dark wood? Its open concept, the living room, dinning and kitchen are all one room, and the floors through out are going to be dark wood, I think cherry (but it doesn't look redish to me). I already sortof messed up and stained two other wood pieces "dark walnut" and I'm not sure that I like the two together (but theyre in the same room so its ok). all other woodlook things in the house are going to be white (doors, mouldings etc) Should I keep the dark floor through out, or should I somehow divide the kitchen and dining and do a light tile on the floor? The counters are cream colored and the walls will be pallidian blue by the way, and the room gets a ton of natural light all hours of the day. not a very good pic, but the best I could get at the time...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CLBlakey

I am a fan of Ebony or Esspresso stained wood they seem to be neutral to me but really it would depend on the tone of your "Cherry" floor. I had yellow oak cupboards and waited 8 years before I got the go ahead to paint them white now hubby loves them and can't figure out why it took him so long to agree. Good Luck with your project and don't forget the after pics.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
The size of toilet paper...so much smaller now!
I know, who wants to talk about toilet paper??? LOL!...
olliesmom
How do you dress a 30' expanse of windows?
I have a wall with three sets of sliding doors onto...
a2momcheers
WWYD re: tile in bathroom/mudroom
So my DH thought that before we put all our baseboards...
akl_vdb
help with retudorfying my house one step at a time
My front steps have succumb to the coldest February...
roarah
Photoshop Help with my exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. I...
fst96se
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™