revere pewter too formal?

secondhalfNovember 17, 2012

hi everyone- we are coming to a close on our renovation and I need some paint guidance. The kitchen and attached breakfast room with the fireplace are in BM Edgecomb Gray, a beautiful color that almost glows in the light. I had planned on using Revere Pewter in the new family room, but after seeing it in the office, my husband is worried it's too formal for the family room. That room has a painted tongue and groove ceiling. It and all trim is in Marscapone - what do you all think? Do you know of any companion color to Edgecomb that would work? I want a neutral as I am pretty fickle about color and love the flexibility of changing it with pillows, throws, and accessories.

Thanks in advance for any help.

View from breakfast room into kitchen:

View of new family room- south wall

View of new family room -north wall (revere pewter is the swatch on left and Edgecomb is on right)

View of office with revere pewter

Another view of kitchen with Edgecomb - looking into breakfast room and beyond is new family room. Ignore the tan color near the fireplace- it just hasn't yet been painted in Edgecomb:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427

I love the Revere Pewter and I think the two colors would set each other off beautifully! Your kitchen is wonderful and the fireplace...marvelous. Also, the darker greys in the stone speak to the RP as well.

Can't wait for finished pics!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:28AM
kswl2

I like the edgecomb gray better than the revere pewter for a large room. The more of a color the less strength--- which is why the pewter looks great in the smaller dining room by comparison. It's amazing how dated the tans look next to those au courant grays!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:35AM
sserra85

I like the edgecomb gray swatch better in your room. But In my common areas I have revere pewter mixed at 50% and I love it. Its subtle and doesn't read as brown as the regular revere pewter.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:14AM
caminnc

I like the edgecomb better, it's fresher looking to me.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:17AM
secondhalf

Twn85- do you have a picture of the revere pewter at 50%? Maybe I should consider that...

All the Edgecomb fans...I like it better too but my husband didn't want the same color in all three rooms.

Thank you for all the opinions!!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 10:47AM
xantippe

Gray is definitely going to feel formal. We just painted our living room a (much darker) gray, and immediately, the room looked elegant and hip. We love it, but suddenly all our existing accessories look old or worn or almost cutesy. So bear that in mind.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 10:52AM
wi-sailorgirl

I have revere pewter in my kitchen and in my bedroom (trim in both rooms is also Mascarpone) and those two rooms couldn't be any farther from formal. And I do think it works really well with Edgecomb Gray.

I can't seem to get into Photobucket right now, but you can see a couple pics of the kitchen at the link below. (Note that the cabinets are not Mascarpone but (most of) the trim and the ceilings are).

Here is a link that might be useful: Revere Pewter/mascarpone kitchen

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:01PM
chardie

Sailor:

Great blog!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:20PM
secondhalf

Sailor- yes...great blog!! Thank you for posting. I ended up going with the Revere in the new room and we are really happy with it. I will post pics why they finish...second coat is tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:29PM
wi-sailorgirl

Chardie and secondhalf ... thank you!

I can't wait to see what it looks like, secondhalf!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
Question for Deee and anyone with honed black granite
I was all set to put honed granite on my island, but...
grapeleaves
What do you have on your patio sliding doors??
I would like to change out my dated vertical blinds...
mary44
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™