Wedding Afghan Complete

Annie DeighnaughNovember 7, 2012

For those of you who may recall, I was struggling with what color to make an afghan as a wedding gift. The consensus was so strong for ivory, that I had to go with it. Also you all said no fringe, so no fringe.

Afghan is done and I think it came out fine. I know it works as it kept me warm when I was working on it. Thank you all for your help.

Of course, now I really stepped into it....I was talking with the bride who went over board on her wedding gown and doesn't know what to do about her veil....she mentioned that she has her Mom's veil which maybe she could use, but it would need work. So I've offered to make her veil for her...using her Mom's if we can, or a new one if not. Such fun, so exciting, and anxiety forming....I don't want to screw this one up. But I love pretty things, bridal things, and I feel like I need to pay it forward as Mom worked so hard making it work for me...she made my gown, the girls dresses and her own dress, in addition to doing all the flowers for the wedding too. (I made my own veil and headpiece.) I guess I feel close to her when I do these things....I so wish she were here to enjoy it with me....rather I sew wish she were here!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitchdesj

Annie, it indeed turned out amazingly gorgeous, you make me want to start knitting again. As for the veil, keep us posted, you'll do a fine job I'm sure !

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:21AM
teacats

What a treasure!

Very classic and timeless -- and always handy in a living room, bedroom or nursery! :)

Well done! And of course -- we'll be waiting for a photo of the wedding veil! :)

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:27AM
trailrunnerbiker

Beautiful. You have a lot of talent and the love and care shows . What a kind and generous gift . c

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:46AM
lascatx

That's very nice and I'm sure she will love it, but even more special is your story about the veil. Your efforts on the veil will be a gift to her, both so she has the dress she wants and a veil that makes her happy, but also a piece of her mom present as well as honored in the efforts. That's just really special. Your love will make it wonderful. Enjoy every moment of it.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:49AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Just perfect and so classic looking and I'm sure the veil will be to.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:53AM
dedtired

That is amazing. I am sure it will become a family heirloom for the new couple.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:59AM
katrina_ellen

Its gorgeous and versatile!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:21AM
tradewind_64

That is lovely!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:31AM
tinam61

That's beautiful Annie. You do wonderful work. The bride and groom should love it!

tina

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:37AM
lolauren

It looks beautiful. I would use it in my home in a heartbeat, and I imagine the bride would too. :)

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:40AM
yayagal

I like the afghan very much and so will the happy couple but I love more your motivation to work on the veil and make it a new creation. Your Mom will be hovering around you helping you along the way, no doubt. The bride is lucky to have a friend like you.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:25AM
schoolhouse_gw

Very, very lovely.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:28AM
mtnrdredux_gw

I wish I could do that. And so quickly! Lucky bride.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:36AM
cat_mom

So pretty and very "ethereal" looking!!! Lucky couple to receive such a lovely gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:00AM
localeater

It is really lovely and I know it will be treasured by the bride.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:01AM
lynninnewmexico

It's a lovely, very useable gift, Annie! How lucky for the new couple! We received a very similar cream-colored, handmade afghan for a wedding gift and are still using it almost 30 years later. The cream color works well with everything. Great choice!
Lynn

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:04AM
SunnyCottage

What a beautiful, thoughtful, and very special gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:04AM
marti8a

It's gorgeous Annie! It looks so soft too, what is it made from? I'm so impressed with your skill.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:38AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I really struggled to find a pattern I liked, and when I saw this one, I knew it was it and immediately stopped looking.

teacats...a nursery? Hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it...mom with babe in arms in rocking chair nestled in afghan....nice image!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:43AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks marti8a, it's an acrylic yarn, worsted weight. I wanted to make sure that it was very washable...this is machine washable and dryable. Personally, I'd never want such a light colored afghan as I'd be afraid of getting it dirty all the time, what with me wrapped up and eating snacks in front of the TV, cat curled up on it, etc. It has a nice soft hand to it, though it's heavy...I put about 2 1/2 lbs. of yarn into it.

The other day I was watching TV, enjoying a glass of red wine...picked the glass up, but not quite high enough to accommodate the edge of the pillow I was leaning against....the pillow caught the edge of the glass and the whole glass spilled all over me! So glad I wasn't working on the afghan at the time!!!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:50AM
patty_cakes

Annie, you sound like such a busy and ambitious little bee! Making the young lady's veil is so very thoughtful, and you know she'll be appreciative as well as always have the memory it was made by you. You are very much your(((Mother's daughter))),so own it, girl!

As for the afghan, it turned out beautifully, and it's obvious you're very meticulous. You're very talented, Annie. ;o)

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:51AM
caminnc

Beautiful, you should sell them ;-)

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:53AM
Fun2BHere

Annie, that afghan is stunning! You are a wonderful friend to this young woman. I'm sure your work on the veil will be perfect and greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 12:05PM
Cindyloo123

As Fun said, it is stunning!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 1:30PM
bronwynsmom

Lovely, lovely, Annie!
They are going to treasure it, not just because you made it, but because it's really pretty, and timeless.

I envy your ability and your patience. This from someone who is constitutionally unable to master rhythmic, repetitive skills.

I tried to learn to knit about a hundred years ago when I decided to quit smoking. It made me so cranky I smoked more.

(But I did quit.)

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 1:38PM
kswl2

Absolutely beautiful, Annie! What a wonderful gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 1:42PM
lalithar

This looks lovely! You are really talented and so nice to invest your time in making this for the bride.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:40PM
chicagoans

Beautiful! What a lovely, heartfelt and generous gift.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:51PM
springroz

Oh, that did turn out pretty! What pattern did you use?

I love afghans!

Nancy

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:58PM
powermuffin

Your beautiful gift will stand the test of time. It is truly timeless.
Diane

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:59PM
cyn427

That is just so lovely, Annie. It is destined to become a family heirloom which the bride will pass on to her child some day. That sort of gift is a treasure.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:16PM
bethohio3

What a beautiful afghan--I'm sure it will be something they treasure.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:17PM
maddielee

beautiful afghan. lovely.

You will do fine on the veil.

ML

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:19PM
aktillery9

Oh it is so pretty and looks so cozy! They will forever cherish it. I cannot wait to see the veil you make! You are so talented. Please be sure to post pics!

BTW- when my mom was alive she made afghans for many people as gifts and gave me many as well. I am so proud of them and they mean more than anything to me. There is nothing better than the love and time spent on such a gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:20PM
loribee

I absolutely love it! Good for you....
Plse keep us posted on the veil.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:47PM
DLM2000

Annie that afghan is just lovely, timeless and classic - I'm sure they will treasure it. What a wonderful, heartfelt gift. Can't wait to see the magic you work with the veil!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 6:22PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you again for all the kind words, and your stories that this afghan has triggered for you.

springoz, the afghan is crocheted in long rows....the little holes are made with a "twisted" stitch where you skip a stitch, DC in the next st, then DC in the skipped st. I found the pattern in an old workbasket magazine....Mom collected them for years, and I never threw them out....

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 6:37PM
jterrilynn

Wow! It seems like only a few days ago you were deciding on the details. I thought these things took forever and ever. What a wonderful beautiful gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:51PM
wifisker

It's beautiful! I just love the color and pattern and I know they will, too.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:15PM
deedee99

Lovely! And the little story about your mom was too....

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:00PM
crl_

What a lovely gift!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:35PM
lindac

It's lovely!!
I knit....currently prayer shawls, but have knit several afghans. Crochet is so much heavier than knitting. It uses more yarn and feels...well....more substantial. A knit afhgan is soft and floaty, a crocheted one is denser and warmer.
Also a knit one (unless you choose a pattern carefully) has a right and a wrong side.....crocheted pieces, it's not so important.
That will cuddle the newly weds, cover a worn chair, snuggle with a nursing baby, comfort a sick one and provide a perfect cover for a Sunday afternoon nap.
A very special gift.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:55PM
Olychick

In these times of cookie cutter, wedding registry gifts, yours is pure love...and beautiful, too.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 1:21AM
outsideplaying_gw

Annie, what a beautiful gift, and such a lovely thought of your Mother! I can see why it is the perfect pattern, and you executed it beautifully! And what a lucky couple to be receiving it! I'm sure the veil will be gorgeous too, the bride stunning, and the star she should be on her day!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:59AM
sochi

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift, that is gorgeous!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:02AM
gsciencechick

My cousin gave us a similar afghan in ivory, and it was truly one of my favorite wedding gifts. It is washable and comes out just fine. Now that it is cold we use it every night on the bed. Still looks great after 6 years.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Best mirror for misaligned light and faucet?
The light over our bathroom sink is not centered over...
amj0517
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™