Has anyone used outdoor lights inside?

deborah1950November 6, 2009

I am thinking about using outdoor lighting as inside sconces. Has anyone done that, and does it work as a good light source? I bought two oil rubbed bronze lanterns with hammered glass to be used in a family room with vaulted ceiling. Now I am wondering if this is what I want. We will need light, and I am not fond of overhead lights. Any suggestions? I thought it sounded fun, but I am interested in function. I will have lamps also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee

I have one in my foyer and love the look.
It isn't wired, so I just use a battery tea light.
Give it a try~

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 5:42AM
deborah1950

Thanks for the great pictures! Your home looks very welcoming! Like the light and the clock. I have already purchased the light and it will have to be wired. I didn't know that there was such a thing like the one you have! Do you mind my asking where you found it? What a great idea for over my stone fireplace where wiring would be costly! Thanks so much for the idea. Keep the ideas and pictures rolling out there.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 1:37PM
luckygal

I'm sure this is done as I've seen many of those huge hanging lanterns that decorators are now using with the Belgian style and they must originally have been outdoor fixtures. As long as the wiring is to code I can't see a problem. Keep in mind the function of the light as sconces will be ambient light, not task. I have a dozen wired sconces in this house and I love the light they provide. Downside is that really tall furniture doesn't work with them and they limit wall decor.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 3:39PM
segbrown

My neighbors have three huge outdoor lanterns over their 10ft kitchen island ... (photo from real estate ad before it was sold)

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 6:44PM
lottamoxie

What a great idea! Yes, absolutely use an outdoor lantern if it fits with your decor.

I LOVE the clock in your house, Loribee, as well as the lantern by your front door.

I'm looking for new lights above my (little) center kitchen island and now you've given me ideas...mwhaaahaaa....always a dangerous thing!

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?
I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the...
juddgirl2
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™