abutting couches - end table or not?

ayf6October 8, 2012

I have two abutting couches with a space for a 36"x36" endtable. Whats the smallest size I could put there without looking strange? Is there a better option or other idea for use of that space?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funkyart

Ayf, I think a lot depends on the overall space and the style of the sofas. Can you share a photo?

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:09PM
palimpsest

Do you mean abutting in a corner? I think it is nice to pretty much fill the space but it's not necessary.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:40PM
k9arlene

I have an end table (26") there and it looks fine. I would think you'd want a table and lamp there.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:50AM
cearbhaill

I need a table next to every seating choice for drinks, books etc. so yes, I think you need one.
I would let the scale of the sofas dictate the size of the table- you don't need to fill up the entire space, just occupy it.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:08AM
ayf6

Here's what the space looks like. Obviously the end table there is way too small.

The couches are a queen sleeper and a 109" non pullout so they look fairly large

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:56AM
porkandham

I think, in this case, height is going to be more important than size. You need a much taller table.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:03AM
ayf6

do you have any recommendations as to what height or kind of table would go well here? we're really bad at decorating :(

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:10AM
Fun2BHere

The height of the end table should be the same height or within two inches of the height of the arm of the seating.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:19AM
teacats

Check sites like Overstock -- but first measure the whole space -- including height.

Also -- could you place a lamp (table? or standing?) at that spot to add warm light to the seating area?

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:32AM
bronwynsmom

Yes - higher, and bigger. If the space is 36", look for a 30"-32" square table. I'd also use something other than glass.

Something with two levels, so it doesn't look massive, and can hold a stack of big books and/or a pretty bowl - something to make the corner nice to look at when you walk in.

And a low, fat lamp...high enough to send light over your shoulder when seated, but not high enough to be in your sight lines when you come into the room.

Something along this line, in a style that works with your things:

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:58AM
palimpsest

I have gotten IKEA dining tables in the 30-32' square sizes that they sometimes have, cut the legs to the desired height and painted or stained them to suit--if budget is an issue.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Online Furniture Store Question
Has anyone ever purchased from the http://www.the-furniture-store.com...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Can you ID this trim?
Does anyone know who makes this trim? I am trying to...
Snbtwins
Living Room and Playroom colors
I need help picking colors. I have lived with beige...
April
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™