Help arranging furniture and decorating
So I have been living in this apartment with my boyfriend for over two years now. It is ours, so we can do what we want with it (paint, nail stuff in, etc.)
I am quite unhappy with the way things look right now. It looks cramped, and unorganized.
First: - the building was built in the 70s, only average sized windows.
- the floor is hard wood, pretty damaged with this kind of pattern : http://www.gharexpert.com/mid/113200715954.jpg. We plan to change it in the future.
- The walls are all white, apart from the bathroom which has this weird ceramic light green on some walls
- We have no paintings because we dont know what size or where to put them (apart from cheap and geeky ones my boyfriend bought before meeting me...it will go away).
The style I want should be not too modern, I like antiques, and classic...although the couch we got is modern.
My main problems are these:
1) the living room/dining room is too cramped. We bought a new couch (similar to this one http://www.ghoofie.com/images/2011/10/Modern-Living-Room-with-Awesome-Grey-Sofa.jpg, but all parts are retractable, and we usually keep them in unless). The couch is too big (I attached a layout of the apartment). I am thinking of putting the couch in front of the living room window, touching the wall, and move the tv in front, on the other wall. Problem is the sun. I am afraid the sun will make the tv difficult to see. The tv cannot move much because of the wires. What do you guys think? I am also worried about the rain...
2) The kitchen table, chairs, and some furniture pieces are all in wood, but different colours. Would it be possible to repaint/varnish them so that it matches?
3) How can I decorate a bathroom with ceramic?
4) Any suggestion in regards to painting/colours?
5) Based on the layout I included here, do you think of any better way to rearrange the furniture? Where could I put art pieces?
6) How do I decorate the entrance hall?