Northern MA - Cabinet builder/Carpenter Recommendations?

oldbat2beOctober 12, 2013

We're planning a linen closet in a landing area (from the attic stairs), and two built-ins for the family room (adjacent room).

So, consider it three, 15" deep built-ins. I will ask my Conestoga rep to quote (they offer an RTA cabinet and do beautiful doors and drawers), but a big limitation with them is drawers can only be 12" or 24"; and there's no way I'm losing 3" (maybe more) in the linen closet area.

I had Village Woodworkers in Topsfield (very local) quote a while back (when we redid the kitchen) and they came in quite high. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

(Edited to move pictures and requests for layout advice to another thread)

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 9:17

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjlb

I think the linen closet proportions would be improved by increasing the height of the doors. Currently the piece is divided top/bottom in roughly equal parts, which is less pleasing, IMO.

I think the built-ins around your lovely window will cramp its style -- I'd definitely forego them, even though I'm sure you would like the storage they provide.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 12:28AM
chrissyb2411

Ceder crest cabinetry in Manchester NH might be worth looking at. Their showroom stuff is amazing! They do furniture and cabinets. We didn't end up using the for our kitchen, because our budget wouldn't support custom cabinets. If I had the budget I would have in a heartbeat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar crest

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:59AM
MaggieQ

OB, your room is really turning out gorgeous. No rec on the cabinets, but what color did you paint the room? thanks.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:09AM
oldbat2be

I am going to post a second thread for layout advice, so am removing the pictures from this one. Please click attached link to continue with any layout suggestions.

mljb, I appreciated your input. I mocked up your taller upper cabinet in another sketch-up drawing (see linked) and like the additional height. The family room is about 13 feet wide by 17' long - and due to the now sloped 9' - 12' tall ceilings, the proportions seem off. The wider window seems to make the room wider.

Thanks chrissby2411. I was not familiar with them. They have some nice pieces on their website. Maybe I will send them my dimensions and see what they come up with.

Thanks MaggieQ! Room color is the same we've used elsewhere in the house; Vancouver Day by BM Aura.

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout Advice Thread

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Is this still in style?
Is blue and brown still in style? I really like this...
FinallyHome
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™