Table runner length question? pics anyone?

mimi_2006October 25, 2008

I'd love to get a runner for my dining room but every time I look at them I walk off frustrated because I don't know what length to get. Should they always hang off the ends? how far? My table length is 96" (which includes a 24" leaf) and the width is 47". I leave it extended all the time to accommodate the 8 chairs. I've seen a few runners that are 120" and many that are 70" or 90". What's the rule of thumb and what looks good? I'd love some suggestions and/or pics. I'm a table runner newbie :-) Here's the table in question.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blanche65

I don't think there are any rigid rules, although the average seems to be a 6" overhang. For example, a 60" runner was once recommended to me for a 48" table, and a 72" runner for a 60" table. That would be 6" for each side. Some people seem to prefer 8" or 10". There are also some that are meant to sit on the table top and don't hang over the side. So it seems that you can choose your own "hangover" : )

I have a friend who leaves the runner on when she extends the table and the runner doesn't reach out to the edge of the table. But she can decorate it in a way that will make it work.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 5:10PM
Lyban

I do not have a photo but mine goes over the edge about 10-12 inches on each side. So I would think 120 inches would look good on your table.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 5:29PM
mimi_2006

So does it look better to have it hang over if it's pointed with the tassel on the end and if the end is squared it could more easily not reach the end?

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 7:46PM
donnawb

When they are pointed with tassel I like them to hang over. If the squared off doesn't hang over I like it shorted and not to the end of table, somewhere around 2/3's of table. I don't know if there is any rules tho.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
Look in the mirror; take one accessory off
You've heard that axiom? I'm finding it relates also...
violetwest
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
Sponsored Products
GG Collection Ogee-G Large Metal Photo Frame
Classic Hostess
Uttermost Blue Crackle Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
AICO Furniture - Discoveries Round Entry Table - ACF-ENT-FBRK-348
Great Furniture Deal
Logico Table Lamp by Artemide
$1,705.00 | Lumens
Tiffany Lamps: 22 in. Jeweled Bronze Table Lamp TF7048TL
Home Depot