Identifying marks- Ethan Allen Furniture

maddieleeOctober 8, 2008

Help.

Does anyone know if Ethan Allen ever 'marked' its furniture with a brass or metal plate?

The few pieces that we own are marked with a burnt in "Ethan Allen". (Burned into the inside of the wood.)

I'm considering a cl find, and the seller says that the buffet has a metal plate that reads; "Ethan Allen".

Thanks for any info you can share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
igloochic

My pieces from the 40's are all burnt in (on the back of the pieces).

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:22PM
dilly_dally

Does the piece also say Baumritter? I don't know if they ever used a metal plate but there was a short period of time when the pieces used dual branding - Ethan Allen/Baumritter.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:45PM
jen9

I have a bedroom set that dates from the 1970's & it the EA name is burned into the wood inside a drawer. I have kitchen chairs that are roughly 5 years old & they have nothing more than a fabric sticker on the underneath of the seat. (I purchased them directly from EA).

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:54PM
Jodi_SoCal

I just sold an EA bedroom set from the 70s and this is the only kind of marks I found on any of the pieces.

Jodi-

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 1:17PM
sarschlos_remodeler

My newer EA pieces all have the mark burnt in.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 1:52PM
maddielee

Thank you to all who answered.

I think the piece may not be authentic, and it is overpriced. (If the seller had offered the piece without the EA reference and at a reasonable price she may have had a buyer).

I've tried to join an Ethan Allen owners forum for info, but am having trouble with that website.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 7:42PM
jerseygirl_1

I have 3 Ethan Allen tables. The chinoiserie cocktail table has a metal name plate. The others are burnt on.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 8:21PM
dilly_dally

I am curious if you know the history behind the chinoiserie table. I own an Ethan Allen piece so I have researched the history of Ethan Allen of course. I never came across anything about a metal plate used. How old it the piece? How long did they use them? Was it only on certain pieces or was there a "metal plate period"?

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 11:27PM
sarschlos_remodeler

Here's the deal with EA's chinoisiere pieces vs. their wood pieces and upholstered pieces. The wood pieces are fabricated in the United States, the chinoisiere pieces are subbed out and built in China. The upholstered pieces are assembled in the US, but the fabric is manufactured in India. They may use the metal plates on the pieces that are not made in the US.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Help with foyer
I need ideas on how to use or decorate this space....
knowll423
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™