Software for sketching window elevations

mtnrdredux_gwOctober 7, 2012

What's the best thing to use to play around with exterior fenestration layout? Skecthup? Or is there somthing specific to windows?

thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldbat2be

Sketch up is fairly easy to pick up and it's amazing how quickly you can draw a house/add windows, doors etc. Take a few of the online tutorials and you should be able to do what you want, especially if you have general house dimensions. Best, oldbat2be

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:27PM
mtnrdredux_gw

Yes, thanks, I've been using Sketchup but they don't have the exact windows I want.

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:41PM
oldbat2be

OK - just double-checking that you've already tried drawing it yourself, already in Sketchup, using the dimensions?

I also have Chief Designer's Architect Plus. You can download various Library Catalogs (i.e., tile, countertops, flooring, roofs, etc).

I'm on version 9 (a little out of date) but I just checked and there are no window libraries for my version but for newer versions (Chief Architect Premier/Interiors, Home Designer Pro/Architectural/Suite) there are libraries for Marvin, Integrity and Therma-True. Best of luck and very much enjoy reading about your projects and watching your progress, oldbat2be

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 7:24AM
mtnrdredux_gw

Oldbat2be,

I am a neophyte at Sketchup. I used it for my little stone house, and now I am playing with it as I ponder what we might do with the beachhouse we are looking at.

For windows and such, I import them as components. I just can't find the windows Id like to use, and it changes the look so much! I can't imagine drawing the window myself, but maybe I should try it.

Not sure if I should try the product you are talking about; assume it is not free!

tia

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:26AM
oldbat2be

I think we paid ~150, no not free but with all your
projects... :)

There may be a tutorial on sketchup for drawing windows, worth checking. I am a neophyte too but found it amazingly good with just using dimensions, drawing rectangles and using the push/pull. Here was a backsplash I mocked up; I was really surprised at how realistic it looked. So, one big rectangle for the house and then a few smaller ones for the windows and doors...

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:02AM
mtnrdredux_gw

Wow. OB2be, you are good!

I am having trouble getting dimensionality on things I draw. For example, I drew a porch roof. It is not a rectangle, it is a trapezoid. After I drew it, I tried to use the push pull to give it some dimensionality and opaqueness. DIdn't do anything .... ideas?

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jmdkc
Online Furniture Store Question
Has anyone ever purchased from the http://www.the-furniture-store.com...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™