Window Treatments on Sliding Glass Doors

dilly_nyOctober 4, 2012

We just installed an Anderson Sliding door (5 feet wide). We will be staining the wood and adding window pane inserts. I did not originally plan to cover this door, but living with it IRL has changed our plan and we would now like the option to easily cover the glass.

A large curtain rod hung above the door with drapes to each side seems to be the only option I can think of, but I have purchased some nice wall hangings for each side of the door that would then be covered. Can you think of any other option?

Here's the door:

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DLM2000

If the fabric you are planning to use for the drapes is not super heavy and you don't need/want the entire window exposed when the drapes are open, you can use a single panel that is pulled to the side of the stationary pane. That's what I have and almost no glass is covered when my drape is open. Your side door frame appears a bit smaller than mine but it should still work. I have an Anderson slider also. From the outside edge of my door frame to the inside edge of the window grill it measures almost 9" - your's might be a bit less but that is your side stack area that won't impact the view. But I see you have a large switch panel - that won't be in the way of the hangings you plan to use? Honestly, with your fireplace, TV, chandelier, bookcase.....your wall hangings may not be shown to their best advantage flanking the door anyway. If you use them elsewhere you could easily have your curtain panel(s) stack back fully off the doors and frame.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:55AM
dilly_ny

I purchased a burlap type drape (returnable), but I am just not sure I like it or if its too fussy for the rustic look I am trying to achieve.

Dlm2000 - thanks for your idea. I had not thought to push drapes to one side.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:03PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Woven wood roman shades or roll up shades with a valance would keep it simple and rustic yet lend privacy and light control.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:15PM
dilly_ny

AnnieD- I thought I would like a woven wood type shade, but I am not sure how I could hang it and have the door still be operational. Also, I want the wood trim on the top of the door to show.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
The size of toilet paper...so much smaller now!
I know, who wants to talk about toilet paper??? LOL!...
olliesmom
Guest room/ma bath/closet plans - what do you think?
I just received the plan for the architect. When I...
rockybird
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™