What paint colour would you choose with this bedding?

stephfOctober 19, 2012

It is for my 10 year old daughter's bedroom. I'm not sure how well you can see the colours in the picture, but besides the obvious blue and red (the comforter is reversible, but I think she prefers the blue side up), there are some lime greens and soft pinks/corals. I think painting the walls a soft pink would be nice, but she's 10 and I think she would associate it with "a baby's room". In the same breath, her baby sister's room is painted BM Neon Celery, and I think she wants something different, so green would be a hard sell too.

What paint colour would you choose to go with this bedding? Even if you think pink or green would be best, please let me know. I could probably convince my daughter on one of those if it was the colour that would really look best.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd go with the beautiful background color.
Looks close to BM at sea

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:07AM
LuAnn_in_PA

I agree with Annie... a beautiful blue!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:34AM
ellendi

As usual Annie, you have great taste. Another vote for the blue.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:34AM
stephf

You guys don't think it would be too much blue? I guess in my mind I'm picturing something kind of like this:

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:46AM
wi-sailorgirl

Vote for blue here, but possibly a grayed light blue so it's not too bright. I don't think it will be too much blue if you keep the rest of stuff in the red/pink/green/white family.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:02PM
SunnyCottage

I'll be the naysayer - I think the blue would be too much if you plan to display the (beautiful) bedding blue side up. I think Benjamin Moore's Coral Reef would be a lot of fun - and not quite pink either!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:08PM
lindac

I agree....blue would be too much....and was scrolling like mad to suggest coral.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:00PM
peaches12345

BM Coal Reef looks to be one beautiful color! It just has been put in my inspiration file.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:04PM
peaches12345

BM Coal Reef looks to be one beautiful color! It just has been put in my inspiration file.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:05PM
stephf

I did a quick Paintshop mock up to look at a few colours.

Here is BM Coral Reef:

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:36PM
stephf

Here's the blue from the bedding (not really a fan):

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:37PM
stephf

And here's a navy blue:

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:38PM
stephf

I also like the lighter pink I posted earlier in the thread. Every other colour I tried seemed to make the bedding look washed out. I do like the coral and the darker blue, but I don't think I would paint the whole room in those colours, probably just an accent wall (the wall with the bed). If I went with the paler pink, I would probably do the whole room in that colour. Thoughts?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:41PM
SunnyCottage

What do you think about BM Antique Coral? It's on the same card as Coral Reef, but is much subtler and lighter.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:53PM
SunnyCottage

Sunlit Coral is lighter still ...

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:55PM
Lake_Girl

Meander Blue by Sherwin Williams is my daughter's BR color. It's pretty! BTW, love the bedding!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 2:04PM
k9arlene

Love the idea of the lighter coral color. How about a light colored lime green?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 2:08PM
ttodd

Agree about a lighter coral color. The chips that Sunnycottage posted are so pretty. So light, fresh and airy!

These pics are just to show the blue combined w/ the coral and what a pretty combo it is. I really think that light coral that SC posted would be divine!

Source: cotedetexas.blogspot.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

Source: beachhouseinthecity.blogspot.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

Source: bhg.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 3:20PM
busybee3

from my monitor, a light-med coral would look much better with the bedding than the pale pink...i don't care for the pink with it.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:44PM
gmp3

Ooooh Annie's blue is pretty and I like the lighter corals.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 5:59PM
pricklypearcactus

Would a pale yellow or cream add one too many colors?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 6:33PM
LuAnn_in_PA

Since it's her room... what color does your daughter prefer?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 7:10PM
lukkiirish

The coral or pink you've sampled is really pretty but I'm a lover of the citrus greens and think that would also be a good option.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:25PM
cloudy_christine

Like Pricklypearcactus, I am thinking a yellowy cream.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:59PM
dretutz

Lemon Sorbet BM is a lovely, soft yellow

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:57PM
loves2read

is that bedding a PB teen pattern?

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:26AM
lascatx

What does the bed look like -- something neutral and upholstered like this or something wood, metal, painted? I think the color and texture could make a difference.

The lighter corals might be good. I first thought the aqua or a milk chocolate. Seeing the aqua, it seems washed out (her actual bed might make some difference there), and the chocolate might seem boring to a young girl (though it could be warm and colorful -- like a gingerbread cottage). Think about what else will be in the room (rug? window treatments? accessories that might bring other color accents).

My shopping would have been so different with two girls rather than two boys.....LOL Have fun!

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:16AM
mtnrdredux_gw

Wall color usually lasts longer than bedding, so I would pick something very subtle. The coral can be jarring, if you don't have the light of the Bahamas.

I would have thought blue, but you tricked us by not showing the stylist's photo first. I would do the very light pink you showed there. You could probably even ask them what it is. They may even sell it.

Very nice choice, btw

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:21AM
aktillery9

I vote for a creamy yellow. When I first looked at the bedding that is what came to mind immediately.

Lovely bedding!

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:08AM
jen9

a rich cream. definitely. (a pale shell pink would be beautiful, but since I have a daughter slightly older than that and I know it wouldn't fly with her, Iam guessing it will be same for your daughter very soon if not already).

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:57AM
stephf

Thank you for so many replies, and I apologize for not checking back all weekend. I will try to respond to as many questions as I can. Her room right now is painted a pale yellow, which I thought would look nice when I bought the bedding (which is Amy Butler "Sari Bloom", purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond). It turns out that the yellow really doesn't go with the bedding at all. It makes everything look very choppy. Her headboard is the same colour as the picture shown, although it is a bookshelf style headboard, not upholstered. She likes the navy blue mock up the best, but she acknowledges that the light pink is very pretty. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the light pink. I think we'll probably paint the room the light pink colour and have her live with it for a little. After that, if she still feels like she wants the navy, we'll paint the accent wall and leave the other walls light pink. In this case I would probably put light pink curtains on the window on the accent wall to soften the navy a bit and to tie in the other walls. Sound like a good plan?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:34PM
wifisker

I love that bedding (Amy Butler, right?) and almost bought it for DD but we ended up going another direction. I liked the suggestion to pair it with pale coral but the great thing about that pattern is that it would coordinate well with so many of the other options, too.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:38PM
BloomingHydrangea

I have this bedding for my daugther's room as well and found this at Sherwin Williams the other day. We are definitely going to be incorporating the Begonia wall color. Just thought you might like some more color ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
front door style thoughts??
I need to replace my older steel front door: 6 panel,...
bentap
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™