Mixing window treatments in same room?

ksoxgrlOctober 31, 2012

I have two skylights in my bedroom on one wall and on the opposite wall there are three regular windows. Because of the pitched wall where the skylights are the position of them are quite low in the room. So my question is do you think I have to match the skylights to the other three windows? My only option on the skylights are cell shades and I was hoping to go with roman shades on the three windows. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksoxgrl

And here's the pic of the skylights, sorry I don't know how to add multiple pictures to post.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:58AM
graywings123

To me, it makes sense to cover the skylights in cellular shades and do something different with the vertical windows. If you are trying to control the light coming in, you may need to do a cellular shade on the half window.

That's a pretty room!

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:57AM
Annie Deighnaugh

They are very different windows, so different treatments would make sense...best to coordinate colors though to keep it cohesive.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:04AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

It is a pretty room! What is the paint color? I love it.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:10AM
ksoxgrl

Graywings and Annie - thank you for your votes on being able to use different window treatments on these windows. I'd love to do some roman shades on the three windows.

Bumblbeez, I wish I could give you the paint color but it's been so long since we painted the room that I cannot remember, it's a deeper sage color if that helps. We are getting ready to repaint.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:01PM
patty_cakes

IMO, a sky'light' isn't a window, but a means of allowing more light into a room, and is used only on a ceiling. Windows on the other hand are only used on walls.

In no way do the means by which the light is allowed in/out have to watch~~could you imagine drapery panels on a skylight?

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:14PM
ksoxgrl

Patty - I agree that you wouldn't have to match window treatments in the usual skylight and window scenarios but the reason why I ask is because the skylights sit very low on the slanted ceiling with a short knee wall that they almost appear to be at the same height as the windows across the room.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:32PM
chispa

I had a similar arrangement in our bedroom 3 houses ago! I used some Sari fabric and hung them with clips on a rod for the main windows. For the skylights I used the same sari fabric and sewed two rod pockets at either end. I then used narrow tension rods to stretch the fabric and cover the skylight.

The windows had hunter douglas duettes for light control and the skylights had a roller shade for light control. Both white.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Ikea mattresses
We need to get a new twin mattress for my DS (9). ...
jlc712
Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?
Decided to askā€¦ What color would you pull from the...
misformink
Have you used BM Etiquette?
I need to repaint my master bath. I'm considering...
sreedesq
Painting below chair rail to give appearance of wood paneling
Not in my budget to have wood panel wainscoting but...
bossyvossy
Sponsored Products
LZF | Anfora Suspension Light - Small
YLighting
Each 96"L Savannah Curtain
$84.00 | Horchow
Signature Grommet Blue 50 x 96-Inch Blackout Curtain
$95.95 | Bellacor
Traditions Linens Tracey Standard Pillow Sham - 371808800013
$85.99 | Hayneedle
Horizon Embroidered Grommet 95-inch Window Curtain Panel
Overstock.com