SW whole weat or believable buff pics

pippi81September 23, 2010

Hi! I posted an earlier message about painting my kitchen with oak cabinets. I have had multiple suggestions to use SW whole wheat or believable buff. Does anyone have a picture to share where they used these colors with oak cabinets? I have the color swatches, but the color looks so similar to the color of the wood I wonder if the color will sort of "blah" out. Then again, I'm not trying to draw attention to the 90s oak. So maybe it'd be a good thing? A picture would sure help!

Thanks to everyone for the kind advice! So far my favorite is BM olive branch. I think I may be going green. (: Thanks sheesharee!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thermsen

I hope this helps a little! As I said in the previous post, I am currently repainting all of my oak. The base boards and windows were in terrible shape. When I painted my kitchen SW Believable Buff (top photo) I felt like I could handle the oak a bit longer. I painted the bottom portion a chocolate brown with a flat and satin stripe. In the second photo, the walls around the door are Whole Wheat and the walls that you can barely see on the sides are Believable Buff. I like the colors a lot but they tend to have a slight green cast in my house and in the kitchen especially. Our house is surrounded by trees and it really affects color.

I have been yearning for a crisp, clean more contemporary look (but NOT cold) so I felt like I wanted to paint my cabinets. There is a TON of oak in house! It's been quite the job. I eat, sleep and breathe (literally) paint.

Your house looks very nice, by the way!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:00AM
pippi81

Thanks! You have a great eye! Our neutral khaki color (called Cincinnati Hotel by Valspar) also casts a green hue. This is making it difficult to find coordinating colors in other rooms. Don't you hate it when a neutral turns out not so neutral after all? (= It looks like Believable Buff is too close to our Cincinnati Hotel, but Whole Wheat is a bit darker and might be a possibility. I'll be sure to post an after picture when we get there. It might be a while yet. (=

Oh, we also had to paint all the trim in our house. Fortunately for us we were having all the floors replaced, so we quickly slopped on a bunch of paint and smeared it all over the floor and walls (knowing new floors were coming and we were planning on painting the walls). It was STILL a huge job, but much much easier this way. So worth it in the end! Good luck!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 10:56AM
CaroleOH

Here's Whole Wheat in my Living Room. It's so hard to get a true representation of the color when taking a picture. It's definitely a medium/dark gold color with a slight greenish undertone. IRL it looks more like #2 but a tad lighter.

here's with the flash

and here's with no flash

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 3:02PM
chocolatebunny

Not sure if this helps since my cabinets are maple that are stained cherry, but I have oak floors so maybe you can get an idea of the SW Whole Wheat with the oak.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
Am I looking for a soft buttery yellow or a soft buttery white?
I've the itch to paint my living area a soft yellow...something...
happyintexas
I find myself in this situation more often than not!
I''m a sucker for everything she found! Kitchen design,...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Backsplash ideas for white, modern kitchen?
I posted what became a quite exciting thread last fall...
sochi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™