black metal headboard -- will it look okay?

JodokusSeptember 19, 2012

I'm very challenged when it comes to decorating.

Here's the situation. I have a queen bed on a frame but no headboard. I found a nice, inexpensive metal headboard. It is black. I don't have anything black in the room except a couple picture frames, so I'm wondering if introducing yet another color to the room is going to be bad. Here's what I have now:

*beech hardwood floor (with some knots)-- the floor is sort of a rich yellowish amber shade -- light, but not super light;

*bluish-grey walls, very muted and soft;

*medium-dark wood furniture;

*white macrame lace curtains hung on a bronze rod;

*white & grey chenille bedspread;

*there are some gold door hinges that show (gasp! gold! it's that 1970s-1980s gold! I suppose that can be replaced easy enough.)

So now I'm just wondering if introducing black to this mix is going to be too discombobulated. I'm worried about the bronze curtain rod versus the black metal headboard. (I could paint the curtain rod black easily enough.)

I don't want one of those blah looking monotone rooms, but I also don't want a big mishmash where everything is competing against each other. You all always have such good advice. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

If it were me, I'd paint the headboard either brown or white to blend it better.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:45PM
Jodokus

Thanks, yayagal. I agree with you. The more I think about it, the more I realize black just won't work!

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 6:39PM
graywings123

Can you post a photo of the room? And the headboard.

A black metal headboard might not be my first choice for a room, because it is a hard surface, but what you have isn't necessarily competing against one another.

BTW, most everyone has gold door hinges. Don't worry about that. What do you have for lighting? Area rug? Pictures on the walls?

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:50PM
SarahLyallHome

Since we cannot see the room, its hard to tell if the black would work or not. I like an eclectic look in a room and that leads me think it might not be bad at all.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 8:18PM
dawn_t

My metal headboard was black and I took it out back with a can of Tremclad Hammered metal paint (medium brown).
Durable, and changed the whole look ...

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 8:43PM
lazydaisynot

I am a fan of black metal headboards of the wrought iron-look. I find them versatile and pretty, and wouldn't hesitate to use one with the colors in your room. If you're talking about a more severe or solid headboard, that's a different story.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Dining room chandelier selection, please help!
Hi everyone, I need to pull my dining room together...
aboxofcrayons
It's me......
Hi Everybody. It's me. I'm a relatively longtime...
Karen Viscito Interiors
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™