cloth for oval table

bbstxSeptember 18, 2012

Is it necessary to have an oval cloth for an oval table? Is it acceptable to use a rectangular cloth (easier to find!) and just allow the corners to hang down? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hilltop_gw

I have both rectangle and oval tablecloths for my oval table. I use the rectangle ones moreso for sentimental reasons. I have an off-white one that was my grandmothers that we use when that family gathers. I also have one that is a blue Chinese dragon silk embroidered tablecloth that my S/DIL brought back from China when they lived and worked there. We use that when our immediate family is all gathered around the table (for good luck and happiness that all are together).

The oval cloths probably looks a little nicer, more tailored. If you do use a rectangle make sure it's not too oversize otherwise the corners can hang too low.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:53PM
celticmoon

I have knotted the hanging corners of a rectangular cloth (sheet actually) on my (gigantic) oval table.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 11:10PM
bbstx

Thanks, y'all. hilltop, I had completely forgotten about a smallish cloth that DH brought me from China. It might be good on this table! Now where did I put it.....

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:49AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I've done both, but I like the look of an oval cloth better. If you're using it to eat at, the rectangles can get dangerous if anyone gets tangled up with it moving the chairs in and out...dinner may end up on the floor!

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Check In here, Roll Call
Hello dear friends! Have you made it here ok? Let this...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Living Room and Playroom colors
I need help picking colors. I have lived with beige...
April
No Windows in the Dining Room
My dining room has 2 large wall with no windows and...
aloha2009
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™