Upholsterers in Concord, NH

chickadee2_gwSeptember 9, 2012

My sister-in-law lives in NH, and while she and I were talking on the phone today, she told me that she has had a few chairs covered by an upholstery program set up at the prison in Concord. The inmates are trained to do the work, and she said they did a nice job. Plus she said it was a lot cheaper than going to a regular upholsterer. I thought that was pretty cool. She said there are some requirements to make sure you're not trying to smuggle anything in, such as removing some of the original fabric or cover underneath the item. I don't know specifically what you have to do. I just thought I'd pass this on in case you live anywhere close enough to Concord to save some money on an upholstery project. I wonder if other prisons do the same thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhbaskets

I didn't realize they did this . We live 40 minutes from Concord, so I will certainly keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for posting!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 9:24PM
rafor

I saw this program at the Old Barn and House expo in Manchester. When I lived on the West Coast I had found an upholsterer that was half the price of any others. I shared him with all my friends :) He taught that program at a prison too. I have a few things that will eventually need to be done and I am going to check out the program at the Concord Prison.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 9:56PM
chickadee2_gw

My SIL said you have to put your name on a waiting list, so keep that in mind if you need something by a certain date.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:13PM
My3dogs

I had a chair done several years ago at the prison in Windham, ME. The waiting list there is typically a YEAR!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 4:23PM
chickadee2_gw

I'd forget where I stored the fabric by then. Was it much cheaper? Were you happy with the result?

I did a google search about those prison programs and they do a lot of other things too - machine embroidery, woodworking and refinishing, printing, laundry, dry cleaning, etc.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jenniferdavis1221
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
texasgal47
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™