color help,PLZ!

gramsbearSeptember 19, 2012

My great room is very large and very dark.It opens to the dining room and kitchen.These rooms have more light.Need to paint and thought I wanted light neutral color to make it all brighter,but while trying the" paint your room tools",I find I like deeper,darker colors better.Especially with my darker oak cabinets(stained minwax pecan)

I cant afford to have it painted twice so I really need help...The current color is SW Bagel and Ive never liked it...Aldo I paint them both the same or move a shade or two different?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gramsbear

another pix...excuse the mess.did this on the spur of the moment...

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 7:41PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

but while trying the" paint your room tools",I find I like deeper,darker colors better.

I've been painting virtually, using professional yet similar virtual painting tools for about 8 years.

Here's what I know. The deeper, darker colors ALWAYS make a better virtual picture. Managing more neutral, grayed, lighter colors is really hard to achieve in paint a room programs.

Truth is if you can manage gray and control how light colors 'come across' on a monitor, you can pretty much rule the world. (might be a slight exaggeration but kinda not really)

For the DIY user of those paint a room programs, it's best to use the tool for helping choose hue. For example, do you like green more than blue. Do you like the energy from red more than yellow.

Once you have direction on what hue is preferred, then you can move on to acquiring paint swatches in order to decide on a specific color - like a golden buff yellow vs. a creamy buttercream yellow.

So, that's my 2 cents what ever it's worth about paint a room programs. And, I don't think your house looks all that messy - y'all should see my kitchen right now. OMG, totally out of control!

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:08PM
dakota01

I have to agree on "bagel" I saw it at someone's home and I thought it looked like skin/flesh
What color is your couch, drapes, etc.?
What colors do you like?
There are some very pretty soft greens that might look nice next to your oak kitchen.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:21PM
kyshine3

Hello Gramsbear,
You don't have a messy house! Your kitchen lay-out looks alot like mine and your cabinets look the same.. We have vaulted ceiling therefore when i was picking out paint I knew I would have to love it for a long time. I ended using SW Chop Sticks and LOVE it.. If you like I'll try to send pictures?

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:24PM
gramsbear

Im widowed(65 yrs young.lol) on SS raising a 6 year old great granddaughter so money is tight,but I intend to get new furniture ASAP.The floors through out are a golden oak,as is the mantle.The cupboards are oak,stained pecan,and I have a offwhite mottled laminate countertop.
Will be painting all the silver and brass fixtures and handles, oil rubbed bronze.
My tv cabinet and piano are expresso,have other mismatched wood items.
I have so many oak wood tones....right now my area rug is dark brown,but I stole it from the finished basement until I can find a new one.
Was very country when we built house in 1998,now Im into the new looks,and less is more look.
My kitchen table is a 1967 metal masters,in great shape and solid but its all a very dark formica,even the legs.Need to paint the oak chairs..
Yes send me pictures!!!
All of your ideas are so welcome.....Ive only got 1 shot at this!

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:23PM
bronwynsmom

Would you consider a pale, luminous blue? Your wood tones would look very nice against it, and if you are careful to choose a pale enough, light reflective color, I think you'd be off to a good start.

But the biggest problem see in your rooms is that you don't have enough sources of light to lighten the shadowy spaces. You need lamps, with white shades that let lots of light out!
Consignment shops can be a great source of lamps, and you can find reasonably inexpensive white shades to replace what are likely to be old, mismatched, and stained or yellowed second-hand shades.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?
Decided to askā€¦ What color would you pull from the...
misformink
Painting below chair rail to give appearance of wood paneling
Not in my budget to have wood panel wainscoting but...
bossyvossy
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Ikea mattresses
We need to get a new twin mattress for my DS (9). ...
jlc712
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Sponsored Products
Izmir Kilim Lumbar Pillow
Grandin Road
INSPIRE Q Broadway Dark Grey Fabric Sloped Track Loveseat
Overstock.com
Campania International Rustic Rolled Rim Cast Stone Planter - 11.5 in. - P-550-A
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Bahama Zigzag Decorative Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Coral Colored Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Pennington Antique White Four Light Convertible Chain Hang and Ceiling Mount
$279.90 | Bellacor
Shell Shade 1 Light Flower Design Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Hand-tufted Karastan UBeR Shag Sun Kiss Polyester Rug (8' x 11")
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™