English (rental) cottage style

SunnyCottageSeptember 10, 2012

As many of you know, my mother and I have adopted a tradition of traveling to England together annually. Part of the fun is in selecting "the" perfect cottage for our stay (actually, in 2013 it will be cottages, as we're dividing our time between two areas). A recent thread here on how people in other countries decorate prompted me to say something about how we seek out self-catering cottages in England with ample charm - something that is surprisingly not always easy to find. We love old properties that have been renovated to a nice standard. Cozy, clean, and cute are the operative words for us. I just came across this adorable little place in Bradford on Avon today called "Bridge Cottage." I have absolutely no affiliation with this rental, and we aren't staying here (although we may consider it for a future trip), but I was charmed by it and wanted to share with those who also love this style. I realize it's becoming somewhat cliched, but I don't think I will ever get tired of the Cath Kidston look. Click the photo to begin slideshow ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridge Cottage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427

What a lovely place. I look for old, charming places in the same way when we travel to France. It is so much fun browsing available rentals, isn't it!?,

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:12PM
DLM2000

Very very sweet! Who wouldn't enjoy a holiday there? So do you already have your itinerary for the next trip, Jen?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:12PM
Fun2BHere

Oops! I forgot to say thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:42PM
kathy77

Love the blue glass hallway light fixture. Would it be hard to find something like that? What should I search for?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:52PM
marcolo

Blue hobnail glass shade.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:10PM
greatgollymolly

Very charming, I wouldn't want to come home.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:20PM
indygo

Very sweet, but that music does not go with the cottage at all!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 9:15PM
oakleyok

Did you notice how the tv fit right in sitting on a simple, yet pretty chest? For me, less is more money wise. And this charming cottage is the epitome of comfy. Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 9:25PM
SunnyCottage

I'm so glad some of you enjoyed the pics ... I worried after I posted them that nobody but me would find a rental interesting, but apparently that's not the case. I absolutely love the sofa in the living room. And the kitchen is so sweet (although were it mine, I'd decorate it slightly differently ;-)).

Our next trip will take us to Lavenham, Suffolk (one of the best preserved medieval wool towns in England) and Rutland Water. We've never spent time in either of those areas, and we're very much looking forward to it. Here's a shot of the Lavenham high street:

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:10PM
SunnyCottage

Here also is an exterior pic of the cottage where we'll be staying in Cottesmore (Rutland Water). It's called "Sticky End Cottage", which has a Winnie the Pooh and the Honeypot connotation.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:18PM
bird_lover6

Adorable.

Have you spent any time in Chester, yet? It is one of my favorite English villages. I would love to rent a charming little cottage there, someday!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Has Anyone Used Royal Oak Engineered Wood Flooring?`
We are getting ready to build and found some very authentic...
aktillery9
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™