what to do with short, off-center windows -- HELP

eam4094September 15, 2012

My bedroom wall is wide enough to accommodate a full size bed and two night stands (117 inches). The window on that wall is significantly off-center; the window frame is 38 inches from the wall on the left and 9.75 inches from the wall on the right. The window is short (30 inches tall) and set close to the ceiling (11.5 inches down). If I hang the curtains or drapes so that the window appears to be in the center of the wall, only about 24 inches of the window shows and I think that will look skimpy, right? I have read on this forum about putting long drapes on either side of short windows then using a woven shade over the window. It is a nice look, but I think in my case, the window opening is just too small. One solution is to make the drape go all the way across the wall. I was also thinking about using a sheer over the opening (instead of a woven shade). Would this make the opening look less skimpy? I guess I will have to line the drapes to prevent the light from shining through the part of the window that is covered. Bummer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Embrace the lopsidedness! Center the bed under the window, if at all possible, and place a tall piece of furniture to the left. Don't even try to make the window look centered.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 5:04PM
eam4094

Chibimimi, I love your solution, unfortunately the bed won't fit under the windows -- too close to one side of the wall. I considered moving the bed to the other wall but if I do that I can't get in the closet. Maybe I can try replacing one of the night stands with something taller??? That might balance it somewhat. It does look kind of funky the without anything on the windows, which I like, but I was trying to be grown up about my bedroom.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 9:08AM
ellendi

Can you post a picture?

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 10:15AM
dakota01

Do you NEED the window/s ?
My friend had one bedroom window that looked out into the public hallway in her condo.
She had someone cover the window to get rid of any light coming in then she had a mirror made to fit right over it.
It really came out nice - and we that used that room, like the privacy and darkness to sleep!

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Need Help Choosing Area Rug for Living Room
I think I need a rug in here to anchor everything together....
mary44
Abandoned Mansions
I think abandoned places are so interesting. Even the...
jlc712
Photoshop Help with my exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. I...
fst96se
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Sponsored Products
King Medallion Lace Duvet Cover 95" x 108"
$1,275.00 | Horchow
Missoni Home | Lobos Pillow 32x32
YLiving.com
Student Desk Black
Overstock.com
Liberty Furniture Messina Estates Hutch & Buffet in Cognac Finish
Beyond Stores
Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Solo Daylight LED Black Desk Lamp
Euro Style Lighting