baby brother's first home...help

susan123_2007September 22, 2012

So he just bought his first home. Great deal but needs a lot of work, roof, electric, plumbing. Not a lot of money left for decorating.

I've put two coats of Killz on the LR/DR/Kit. House hadn't been painted in years and they were obviously smokers.

His furniture is typical young guy furniture: chair, loveseat, couch, all the same color: mushroom-ish. Dark brown carpet which is staying for now.

DR has good light; LR and Kit not so great. Any suggestions on paint colors? I have Kilim Beige in my basement and love it. Was thinking that might work as a "whole house" color, but it doesn't seem to be working with that "mushroom" color.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronwynsmom

To make a mushroomy color work, I like to use a good light, but not babyish, blue.

Look at Crystalline and Tranquillity (B. Moore Affinity group), which have a bit of gray-green in them.

Restoration Hardware's Atmosphere Blue is a cooler blue, and can look quite sophisticated with brown and mushroom.

If you like the blue idea, and if the kitchen cabinets aren't too dark, you might like to paint the kitchen a dark, rich blue, since it gets good light. Something with similar undertones can work in such a scheme... if you liked Atmosphere Blue, you could consider their Dusk, which is a rich marine blue. With the Affiinity shades, Providence Blue or Water's Edge could be a partner.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 5:07PM
SarahLyallHome

I would think about a light grey, I think that would add a little contrast to the room and grey is definitely a guy's guy kind of color!

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 8:31PM
juliekcmo

Look at SW kerstal white.

Looks very light but actually has a lot of color in it. It looks good with both tans and grays.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 8:40AM
susan123_2007

Thanks for your all suggestions. I hadn't even thought about blue tones... I love blue and brown together. Don't know that I'd be able to sell my brother on it, though.
I'm off to the store to pick up paint samples this morning and some poster board so that I can try several paints in different areas to see how they react to the different light in the home.
And this is just the beginning!!

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:50AM
yayagal

The color of the year, Whythe blue. He would love it. It's Benjamin Moore.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
SW Kilm Beige
If you have used this color, would you please tell...
boystown
Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?
Decided to askā€¦ What color would you pull from the...
misformink
Starting with a (mostly) blank slate--paint?
I've been reading Gardenweb for a couple years, but...
mosspiglet
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Sponsored Products
Ambella Home Collection - Out of the Box Lounge Chair - 58001-700-001
Great Furniture Deal
Tender Shoots Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Tan and White Pencil Stripe Turkish Cotton Bath/ Beach
Overstock.com
Decorative Leather Round Pillows (Set of 2) - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Rizzy Home Plush Jacobean Applique Floral and Leaf Design Decorative Throw Pillo
$54.00 | Hayneedle
Ergonomic Folding Chair
| Dot & Bo
Colonial Energy Saving Six-Light Chandelier In Bronze
$131.10 | Bellacor
Monogrammed Pool Mat
$275.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™