GFCI Slave Circuit

BonebagDecember 8, 2013

Ok..I can't seem to find any info on this. I have an unfinished basement and am wiring a kitchen. I plan on two circuits for my outlets (20amp). I would run one 12/2 to the first outlet and then run the load out and down to a 4" deep metal junction box in the basement mounted on the joist wall. From there I would tie the outgoing wires together that would travel to the slave outlets. Is this ok? I don't see any difference in the actual circuitry...just not having to run two wires one in and one out of every single outlet, not to mention the drilling and routing of all those wires. One wire is easier... I would rather not drill and run two wires to every outlet and have a cramped box and it would be easier to do it this way. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You've lost me. I don't see two circuits in your description.

If you're asking, can you run all your receptacles back to some common point rather than daisy chaining them along, the answer is yes. However, you need to make sure you don't overfill the box capacity of the box you're using as the source point (talk about cramped boxes).

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Note, the kitchen needs 2 20A circuits for its receptacles and this can not be shared with other outlets (such as the basement). Only the kitchen COUNTERTOP receptacles require GFCI by the way (as do the receptacles in the unfinished basement).

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™