Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?

tigerninetyDecember 4, 2012


I've read that some jurisdictions require that speaker wire running in enclosed walls be in-wall speaker wire, rated CL2 or CL3.

I'm open to all kinds of views on this, but I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows if this is required in Montgomery County, Maryland (or where specifically I can find this information)?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check out the home entertainment forum for your answer (to the same question you posed there!!) :p

    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you are putting it IN the walls then it must be in-wall rated, regardless of where you are.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Most of the confusion appears to be over wring rated for use in plenums.

Walls are not plenums under the NEC unless they are used as part of an HVAC distribution system.

They are communications lines, at most.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In that case though, plenum-rated cable would be ok, I assume, since it would be a higher spec?

Here in BC, FT1/FT4 speaker cable would be acceptable...anything run in a wall must be rated as such.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Questions like this always amaze me since in-wall rated LV wiring such as: speaker, coax, HDMI, video, low level audio, communication, control, and CAT5/5e/6 is so readily available, you actually almost have to go out of your way nowadays to find wiring & cable that not in-wall rated.

Usually it comes up when somebody is attempting to run that "speaker wire from the 80's" through walls - that clear zip cord junk that starts oxidizing before you even strip it.

In-wall rated speaker wiring, besides being proper from a jacket safety standpoint, is easier to work with, has a more durable jacket, and is much smoother to pull. And the other thing - it is usually less expensive than the cheap stuff.

The NEC does not specifically address low voltage "home theater wiring" such as in-wall drops from a display device to equipment below, and in-wall connections from finished product, in residential settings, since is not always considered "structured wiring".

However, NEC articles 640, 725, & 820 come closest to addressing this and would probably be what most AHJs would reference if the installation was being inspected.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Yes, CL2 with an R(riser) suffix, and then above that a P (plenum) suffix, can always be substituted for CL2. However then, CLX2 is a lower quality limited to restricted residential use and is rated below CL2. Same goes with CL3.

Get's confusing since "CMX" on some cables will actually be used to designate exterior rated communications cable, with a underground or UV resistant suffix afterwards.

Somewhere, I have a CSA to UL cross reference chart for the FT1/4/6 designators, but don't know where it is off-hand.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Searching Electrical Wiring board
Is there a way to search the Electrical Wiring board...
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
Sponsored Products
303003 Mason 1-lt Outdoor Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Fine Mod Square Mirror
Beyond Stores
Classic Lighting Mallorca Antique Bronze Six-Light 29 Wide Chandelier
Larkspur Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - NAVY/AQUA/TAN
$2,099.00 | Horchow
Folderia Wooden Slat Aluminum Folding Chair in Silver
$89.00 | LexMod
Pre-owned Pacific Bliss Reclaimed Wood Chair
$689.00 | Chairish
Home Decorators Area Rug: Maria Gold 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Regency Wall Hooks - Set of 4
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™