Timer runs backwards??

dave_mnDecember 23, 2009

I have one of those cheapy little timers that use the little pegs to trip it on and off. I think it is turning backwards. Can the polarity affect this or is it shot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

With respect to such devices, AC power has no polarity. The "polarity" is in the premises wiring standards. If your device is running backward, the starting method on the synchronous motor has gone haywire. I have no idea how to repair it. Buy a new one.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pharkus

... not necessarily "haywire", so much as catatonic.

Most of those little motors will run either direction once started that way. If the starting arrangement fails to work at all, it'll just run whatever way it feels like.

The least-involved solution is to unplug it and plug it back in, hoping it'll start the correct direction this time. Of course, there's a 50/50 chance it won't, and the visible motion of a timer is so slow it'll take hours to determine whether or not it did.

If there's a way you can manually exert some force on some part of the timer that spins in use, do so in the correct direction while plugging it in. This'll at least increase your chances.

Or, as bus_driver proposes, buy a new timer.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™