GFI Install and no voltage over .1?

dan261sDecember 22, 2009

I've successfully installed 2 GFI outlets on other circuits for bathrooms however aren't able to install one in my kitchen. Two 12/2 cables are coming into the gang for the outlets line and load however unlike the other two gfi outlets and all i've ever seen, both of the wires black/white are only reading .1 volts? Is this possible? I imagine their is some sort of short somewhere as when both wires are hooked up to a normal recepticle, it correctly reads a little over 120. I've hooked up multiple GFI's to the wires thinking it could be the GFI and even reversed the load and line wires as one way does show the green light that it has power but won't reset suggesting its backwards but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas or assistance is extremely appreciated! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

bad GFCI outlet or it is tripped. press the reset button, if still no voltage then verify you have 120v on the screws. maybe you trippe dth ebreaker or did not fully turn it back on after the swap out?

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 10:06PM
lbpod

The last one I installed came 'tripped' right out of
the box. After installation and power is supplied,
it can be reset. After a lot of head scratching I discovered this,(after reading the instructions).

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 7:57AM
mike_kaiser_gw

Could be as simple as a bad GFCI. Basic troubleshooting would be to ensure 120v supply. Connect line side (make sure the hot wire is attached to the brass colored screw), test. Connect load, test.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 8:47AM
dan261s

I'll reset the breaker and test the voltage again however on my last attempt when each line isn't connected to the gfi, each white/black combination were only reading .1 volts. Once on the GFI, their was no reading. The strange part is when both lines reading .1 are hooked up to a normal recepticle, they correctly read around 120v.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 9:53AM
dan261s

I'll reset the breaker and test the voltage again however on my last attempt when each line isn't connected to the gfi, each white/black combination were only reading .1 volts. On multiple GFI's hooked up, i was never able to reset. Once on the GFI, their was no reading. The strange part is when both lines reading .1 are hooked up to a normal recepticle, they correctly read around 120v. Since this wiring is original to the house built in "65, i'm thinking something is crossed somewhere?

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 10:02AM
Ron Natalie

It's possible you have a ground fault as well, perhaps a ground-to-neutral connection downstream (this is likely if things trip when there is no actual load connected).

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 10:12AM
dan261s

Problem fixed - Disconnected ground wire had run to basement water pipe which was somehow causing the 0.1 volt reading. Understand this is allowed for a GFI without ground hookup as long as correctly labled.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™