Low Voltage on 120V outlet

pianovDecember 7, 2009

I have a 120V outlet at my kitchen counter that I plug a toaster and coffee grinder in. It has worked fine for years. Today, the coffee grinder wouldn't work - plugged a fan into the outlet and it would not work either. Test the plug with an electrical tester and it reads 25V. Try the tester in several other outlets and they all read 120V. Retest problem outlet - 25V. Remove outlet from wall and test directly to the wires - 25V. Nothing else if fed off this outlet (the single three wire bundle goes to this plug). All other outlets and lights and everything else in the kitchen/house seems to work fine.

What on earth could cause the voltage at a single outlet to drop to 25 volts?

I hope someone can help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Depending on what you mean by a "tester" you may be reading a phantom voltage. There may not be in fact any voltage on that circuit. Look for a tripped circuit breaker or a ground fault interupter elsewhere on the circuit.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 8:20PM
billhart

I agree with ron. To further discuss his point about phantom voltage, if you plug in and turn on a lamp or appliance and measure on the wires or the other half of the duplex receptacle that I'm guessing you have there, you will undoubtedly measure 0 volts.

There's a microscopic amount of electricity floating around, coupled from other hot wires this circuit goes near. It is barely enough to tickle a sensitive meter, but not enough to register on a less sensitive tester or lamp.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 12:44AM
hendricus

If checking the breaker or GFCI does not help check the wires at this outlet AND the outlet just before the faulty one for loose wires.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™