120 volt circuit testing

pfmatrixDecember 31, 2009

Is there a device on the market that can safely trip a breaker when plugged into a outlet? In a old house with a newer very unlabeled panel. Been using a radio plugged in to outlets and listening for it to go off when tripping off breakers in the basement, then labeling the breakers. Got me wondering what maybe is out there that I could plug into a outlet then just go down and see whats tripped. This could be useful when only wanting to work on a particular outlet. Put in the device, trip the breaker and not have to reset all of the house's clocks. Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

No...but they do make a device that you plug into a receptacle that sends a tone that you can sniff for with the a complementary device in the panel.

    Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 8:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Like this one.

    Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the tester info. I figured there had to be something out there the pros use.

    Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 11:41AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™