Proper wire/size for heat pump air handler

JasmarDecember 28, 2013

cross posted in heating and air, but I thought as it pertains to electrical this may be as good a forum:
When installing a heat pump system that has an air handler with emergency type heat strip(s) installed with two breakers in the unit what type of wire should be used to feed power to it? Assume that it replaces either a smaller heat pump system or a traditional electric heat air handler that had a single power feed. Is it better to add a breaker to the main panel and feed the second breaker/disconnect in the air handler or is it better to uprade the wiring and use the appropriate single feed kit for the air handler so both breakers can be fed from one breaker in the main? If going that route what type of wire should be used? In my case there is a 30A breaker and a 60A breaker. My preference would be to protect it at the main panel with a 90 or 100 amp breaker and install a single feed but that would require #3 wire and I am only aware of THHN in that size. Air handler is is about 50 feet from the main panel. Conduit is not totally impossible but would be quite a job. Could I use SE type cable? I am double posting this in electrical.
Thanks, J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Your first step is to read the manufacturers information. If it says run two circuits, you are obliged to run two circuits. You can not just put in a single breaker regardless of how big you make the conductors. If you use SE, you need to watch for a few things: first you must have an appropriate sized grounding conductor in the cable you are using, second if Aluminum (most are) make sure the terminals on the device take aluminum, third remember that when running SE interior you must not exceed the 60 degree (after derating) ampacity even if the cable is approved at 75 or 90.
Note that USE is not permitted for interior use.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 6:59AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Sponsored Products
Elementem | Looking Out Wall Art
Kartell | Four Table, Laminate
Daytona 36" Bathroom Vanity Set - Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Crystorama Mercer Chandelier - 36W in. English Bronze - 5268-EB-CL-MWP
Bedtime Bear Santa Figure - Christmas Decorations
$219.00 | FRONTGATE
Empire Star Indoor/Outdoor Rug 3'5" x 5'5" - AQUA
$199.00 | Horchow
Flash Furniture Exceptional Designs Living Room Set In Caliber Navy Chenille
Beyond Stores
Casa Marseille 31" High Energy Efficient Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™