Need a deeper metal switchbox

bloganDecember 19, 2010

Hello, help please. How can I add depth to a metal cut-in switchbox in a lath/plaster wall? I have added a bathroom heater/fan/light, with multi-function switch. I used a metal box with 14-2 w/ground MC cable. This switch requires 11 wires coming into the box in addition to a few pigtails on the switch, and all that doesn't fit into the 2-1/2" deep switchbox. Someone suggested I use a "battleship" (aka "box support"?), so I purchased one for about a buck, but I can't figure out how to use it. It's actually a 2-Gang box because I'm putting another switch in it, as well. Any tips on another approach or how to use a battleship would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

A battle ship will do nothing to add depth. I thought gangable metal boxes were available over 3 inches deep. I know some practically touch the sheet rock on the next wall over. As to the fill, you should be able to wire it with 14/2 feeding in, a 14/2 to the light on the other switch, a 14/2 to the heater, and a 14/3 for the fan/ light. That should fit properly in the deepest size metal box ganged together for 2 gang.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Switch to a square box and use a mud ring as needed.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™