3 prong plug ? & up-grade help

michelle2_growDecember 4, 2009

Just brought a iheater (mega room heater)...my problem is the plug is a 3 prong and the wall plug is only 2 prong. The directions say not to use a extension cord and plug only into wall socket where there is nothing else plugged in. Do you think it's safe to use a hvy duty 3 prong adapter or surge protector bar ? Also what exactly is involved in upgrading from a 110 to 220. House was built in 1947 and up till now we have been getting along with the 110, after hearing how expensive it is we have put it off, now we are thinking we should go ahead and do it ? Any advice on the 3 prong plug problem and upgrading help would be appreciated very much. MB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Quick fix = install a GFCI receptacle if you don't have a grounded circuit.
Next step up fix = check to see if your receptacle circuit has a ground requires a voltage meter, locate the live wire and put one probe to it and the other the box if you get 110v to 123volts you have a grounded system. Shut the circuit breaker off first then attach a bare or green insulated wire to the back of the box using a 10/24 screw. Install new 3-prong receptacle.

Upgrade to 220v service will cost you approximately $1400 for a 100amp 220v service and a 200 amp service will be approximately $2200.

Note: upgrading to 220v will not change the fact that you don't have a grounded circuit(s) assuming you don't

    Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Our house is from the same era.

GFCI might not fit in the box if it is a steel box, they tend to be too small. A GFCI breaker would work or add another outlet for the GFCI at the beginning of the run, right where it comes from the main panel if that is possible.

Probably no grounds unless the electric has been upgraded.

You likely have 220 service. Check the overhead wires where they attach to the building and count the wires where the POCO connects to your wiring. There should be three, one neutral and two hot.

Also, if you have an electric stove, water heater or dryer you have 220.

If you are comfortable with electricity, take the cover off the main panel and count the main cable wires, usually at the top of the panel. Two hots and a neutral would be 220.

    Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Stove, heater and dryer are gas...

    Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just curious, are you still planning to buy another home?
Any expensive upgrades will be given to new owner for "free".
You are very unlikely to recoup those costs.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 11:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We are holding off till spring to list the house, thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 6:29PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™