Lightbulbs banned by new law ?

chefwongDecember 21, 2009

Went to pick up some 75W R20, etc etc. Guy on the counter advised there was some new law intact that various light bulbs of various wattages are not allowed to be sold anymore. What gives. Anyone care to shed some light or more info on this so called new law ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

google "incandescent bulb phase out". Supposed to happen over the next couple years, and local areas may pass laws to speed it up.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 5:54PM
homebound

On another note, last year a guy at Home Depot in electrical told me they were selling off their remaining stock of T12 fluorescent fixtures and moving to ones with thinner tubes (T8 etc). Probably similar thing will happen with the incandescent bulbs, it'll take time but it will happen.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 5:59PM
Ron Natalie

Incandescent isn't being phased out strictly. The Tungsten-Halogen bulbs meet the efficiency requirement. 90% of the uses can deal with CFL's which are way better than the even the new law requires. Hopefully, the woeful quality of the CFL's will improve with more demand/production.

California not only phased out the bulbs, they require you to install fixtures in many places that you can't even stick an old-style bulb into.

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 9:02AM
joed

Problems with CFLs that are often overlooked. The law makers don't see the repercusions of their acts. They only see let's go green.
Don't work with standard dimmers.
Don't work with timers that don't have a neutral in the box(switch loops). They flicker when off.
Don't work with many motion sensors.
Poor performance in cold.
Don't fit many fixtures.

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 9:39AM
hexus

What absolutely drives me insane/angry about CFL's is that everyone rants and raves about "going green" and how wonderful they are for the earth, and yet they contain mercury.

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 7:21PM
Ron Natalie

Some do some don't. Don't think your traditional incandescent ones are all mercury/heavy metal free either.

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 8:13PM
hrajotte

I can no longer find 150 watt floodlight bulbs here in Massachusetts. They are now 90-100 watts max.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 10:43AM
Ron Natalie

It's almost impossible to find anything other than the commonly used sizes in the store. 1000bulbs.com or other online suppliers are your best bet.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 10:19AM
scottys

Whatever incandescent bulb you can't find in a local store can be found on the internet. They aren't going to disappear that quickly.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 11:20AM
mike_kaiser_gw

As someone mentioned one of my complaints about CFL's is quality. I picked up, I think the brand was NeoVision, at Home Depot. It was the only CFL they had that was the "equivalent" of 150 watt incandescent because I had intended to use it as a reading lamp. The thing buzzed horribly.

My other big complaint is the lack of consistent information about color temperature. I've seen lamps labeled cool white, warm white, daylight, and "craft" without necessarily a corresponding number.

Bookmark   December 25, 2009 at 1:08AM
Ron Natalie

Again, if you buy lamps at the borgs you're going to get crap.
Go to one of the internet suppliers (I already listed the one I deal with) to get a better quality of CFL ballast and color temperatures and better color temperature selection. My wife uses 85W (that's 300W equiv) full spectrum bulbs for her (legal I swear) grow operation.

Bookmark   December 25, 2009 at 12:36PM
jmvd20

Borgs - that is great, had to read that twice before I got it. I just may have to start using that term for them!

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Same circuit for AC air handler and whole-house fan?
Hi, I've got a furnace/air handler in my attic. I was...
elofgren
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Sponsored Products
Wrapped Wire 30 3/4" Wide 4-Light Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Moooi | Non Random Light
$695.00 | YLighting
TRIBECCA HOME Silver Mist Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
GE Lightbulbs 48 in. Fluorescent Premium Direct Wire White Under Cabinet Light
$64.97 | Home Depot
Handheld Print --Lightbulb
$34.99 | Dot & Bo