GFCI & Garage Refrigerator

jgmillerDecember 8, 2009

Let me start by saying I know you're not supposed to put a refrigerator on a GFCI protected circuit. The reality of my 1950's house though is that the bathroom circuit with the GFCI feeds the garage where we have a second refrigerator. I'm trying to figure out a way to switch the circuit for the garage or at least the refrigerator to a non-GFCI circuit but that's easier said than done with the construction of my house.

So having said all that here's my question, we've had two different refrigerator's (not at the same time) on that circuit for almost 4 years and haven't had any nuisance trips of the GFCI. Last night the GFCI immediately before the garage tripped and would not stay set when the refrigerator was plugged in, in addition the GFCI further upstream from there kept tripping.

I can accept a single GFCI going bad but two at the same time? So of course I'm thinking something is wrong with the refrigerator. With the refrigerator unplugged both GFCI's are happy and I even tried putting a big start up load on them with a hair dryer and a table saw and nothing tripped. As a test I'm going to run a long extension cord from the refrigerator to another GFCI protected circuit else wear in the house and see if it trips.

Other than the obvious of putting it on a non-GFCI circuit does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

New Refrigerator.

I've run electric lawnmowers, treadmill, power tools off of GFCI's and never had a nuisance trip. Your GFCI is just doing its job and taking care of a fault.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 9:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The defrost heater is a common culprit for GFCI tripping.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™