What would cause this ?

LybanDecember 18, 2009

I have a home that was built in 1944-45.

I just bought it and there was no plug in upstairs bathroom.

The ground floor and basement have been renovated but not much was done to top floor.

There is a new 200amp panel on ground floor with room for expansion.

Found out no ground faults in the upstairs. so a retired electrician I know who charges only 30.00 an hour which is all I can spend right now came in and installed a new panel in my panel box then ran a ground fault wire from the ground floor up to the top floor and installed a new ground outlet in the bathroom. also put the switch to turn overhead lamp on the same wire and the fan.

Now it was a big 10 hour job because of the problems getting the wire up but it is done now.

But now when I turn the bathroom light on sometimes it will not work and I have to push the reset light on outlet to then have it work and yet I do not have anything plugged into outlet.

I am probably not explaining this very well but if anyone understands my ramblings please respond. Is this normal?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigbird_1

I'll assume your retired electrician knew what he was doing. Making that assumption, you paid him $300 in labor, so get him to come back and troubleshoot his handy work.
Something is tripping the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom. It could be caused by many different scenarios. This is NOT normal.

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 4:51PM
Tom Pultz

Per code the light and fan should be on a separate circuit from the receptacle outlet in the bath. However, if the electrician put them on the same circuit the least he could have done was to put the light and fan on the LINE side of the GFIC instead of the LOAD side so it would not be affected tripping of the GFIC.

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 5:37PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Tom,

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe everything in a bathroom can be on one circuit as long as that circuit serves ONLY that bathroom. It's probably not the best designed to have the light go out when the GFCI trips.

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 6:13PM
hexus

"Maybe I'm wrong but I believe everything in a bathroom can be on one circuit as long as that circuit serves ONLY that bathroom."

you are correct

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 7:15PM
Lyban

I did pay the electrician 300.00 but I cannot get him back because he left now for the winter in the warmer climates of Florida.
Is this a dangerous situation. It has only been done a week and the light not working only happened once so far. I was in the bathroom and used the light only, no fan nothing plugged into outlet for about one hour while soaking in tub. Then I left bathroom,turned out light and when I realized I had forgotten something in there went right back in and turned on the light and that is when it would not work. after pushing the reset button on outlet , the light then worked. Should I be worried that something is dangerous?

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 7:16PM
bigbird_1

"Should I be worried that something is dangerous?"

Maybe, maybe not. It could be a defective GFCI or something miswired. No one can tell without a picture or inspection. Something tripped the GFCI.

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Sponsored Products
Square Nailhead Ottoman in Textured Burnt Orange
Grandin Road
Siamese Vase - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Sage Polished Glass Pencil Liners
$9.95 | TileBar
Campania International Three's Company Garden Statue - A-482 - NATURAL
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Classic Bakhtieri Multicolored Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Burlap Print Giclee Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™