2 ovens 240/20 & 240/30 on 1 line 240/50

l1234December 11, 2009

I have two ovens (Miele h4080 240/20 and H4880 240/30). They are not a single combo, but have two separate wips. I have wall open to studs and do not know what to wire.

My preferred way would be to run #6 240/50 4-wire line and connect two receptacles. What the code requires. Do I have to run 2 separate lines? Had these ovens were a factory combo - they would have 1 plug, but they do not make a combo like that with these two?

If I can have one 240/50 line - how do I connect two receptacles or does a dual receptacle exists for #6 cable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigbird_1

Each appliance must be on its own dedicated circuit. How would you have overcurrent protection for the 20A and separate 30A appliances with a 60A breaker?

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 4:34PM
l1234

Sounds logical - but I think over-current protection is more for the circuit wire than for the appliance. Appliances usually have their own over-current protection. On the other hand when there is double oven combo unit comprising 2x 30A ovens it operates on a single 60A circuit panel breaker protecting single line.
Confusing enough - forget logic forget physics - what the law requires?

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 5:25PM
bigbird_1

Sounds logical to me. I don't have a code book nearby. Hopefully someone else can comment on code requirement.

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 5:58PM
brickeyee

What do the installation instructions for the ovens say?

If they say 'require' for a separate circuit, the NEC says you must follow the manufacturer's instructions.

The issue is is the appliance wiring sufficient to carry a fault current to trip the larger breaker?

The internal wiring needs to be able to carry at least the breaker rating to avoid the appliance conductors acting as a fuse before the breaker can trip.

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™