floor outlet in carpet, any tricks to install???

jaansuDecember 16, 2007

I want to install a switch controlled outlet near a table that is not convenient to any walls, thus it will need to go on the floor. Are these any typical code issues or practical considerations to such an install in carpet? I would like to put in a brass cover plate. Are there such cover plates that would allow the entire opening to be covered by a brass oval instead of the usual child protection type inserts for the second outlet? I realize I could install a single outlet but it would be nice to have the capacity for a second application at some time.

I seem to recall The Family Handyman had such an article some years back. Would anyone have the year/month of that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The floor covers I've seen have been brass with the round covers for the receptacles. The covers twist/screw on when not in use to hide the receptacle. The link below shows a few different varieties.

In the link they have one with a flip up cover. Might be good under a table.

Here is a link that might be useful: in floor covers

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank Cissado. The link is exactly what I want but the price surprises me. Checking a few other links suggests none are in the range I hoped to pay but maybe this is a speciality item.

I see that the sites mention 'carpet flange.' What is this and is it necessary? I assume that if I cut a square hole in the carpet that no support such as tack strips are needed around it. Or is this something worth doing to avoid wrinkles?

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 6:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A carpet flange is a wider flange all around the box, or a wider separate flange you put under the box before setting it into the floor.
You DO need one!

Those prices, while high, are pretty near going rate. They are not cheap.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 6:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

See the link. Do NOT mix brands. Get everything from the same Mfg.

Here is a link that might be useful: T&B carpet flange

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 6:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have one. Got it at Home Depot. Its brass and very nice.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Carlon makes a relatively inexpensive floor box that allows for a duplex outlet. These used to be available in the box stores, but I haven't seen them there in a couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlon Residential Floor Box.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I see that both HD and Lowes carry a model. The Lamson circular 'box' is what I want but it comes with a hole saw, which I already have, which increases the price to $45 total. Definitely cheapest to use the big box stores for either a square or circular 'box'. I wouldn't mind buying a used version but don't see it on Ebay. Anyone know of other used versions?

    Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I picked up a single outlet, rectangular box from HD. It is a Hubbell Floor Box Assembly. It comes with an old work metal box, outlet, gasket, and brass cover with single outlet screw in cap.

I originally tried the circular box / hole saw solution, but the plastic box mounts broke away from the brass cover after a few months (plugging in a device about once a week).

I can't find a link for it, but the UPC is 050169062364 .

    Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 11:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Shadow, I was going to go for the Lamson circular box that comes with the hole saw. But I don't understand what you experienced. Are you saying the outlet itself came loose from the box from only the minor stress induced by plugging in and out a few dozen times? If so, this item sounds very shoddy. It might also explain the recall on it a couple of years ago when the plug was wired backwards. Anyway, I would appreciate understanding the problem you had with the circular box before I make a decision. Thanks!

    Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The plastic cylinder where the wire connections are made is held to the brass floor plate with a few plastic tabs. After a short duration of light usage, the plastic tabs would no longer hold the plastic cylinder in place and it would flop around as you plugged/unplugged things.

    Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 2:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Sponsored Products
Duchess Circles Rod Pocket 108-inch Panel
Imperial Cat Whale Scratch n Shape - 01019-O
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Dayton Off-White Linen Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Florence Knoll Style Sofa-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Milson Lines Rug 7'9" x 9'9"
$1,699.00 | Horchow
Hand-tufted Fenway Black Wool Rug (8' x 11')
Amelia EZ Care Rug
Metalarte | Macarena Floor Lamp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™