grounding means to branch panel

uniflowDecember 5, 2012

Greetings, I am upgrading a 100A QO remote panel in a detached building from 120V to 240V with 2-4 Al cable (all that was available locally) pulled from a 200A QO entrance panel. I gutted the remote panel and removed the bonding screw and installed a box grounding bar, drove an 8" ground rod and cabled it to the bar along with all the branch circuit grounds, separating them from the neutrals.

I have two questions: This leaves me with the insulated green conductor. May I ground it at the entrance panel as well as the remote panel? A journeyman electrician said that I could do this but I want a second opinion.

The other is, there is not available in either panel a means to ground the large #2 wire. May I bolt a grounding lug inside each panel case and install the grounding conductor to them?
Thanks for your help! Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

The current codes require that you run a ground to the remote structure in addition to it having it's own grounding system.

What green conductor are you talking about? Are you talking about the one feeding the sub panel? In this case not only CAN you, you MUST connect that to the grounding system on both ends.

You can use listed accessory lugs, check the Schneider catalog.

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Sponsored Products
Calming Waters Black Stone Antique Bronze Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Rubbed Oil Bronze Three-Light 22-Inch Deep Pendant
$285.00 | Bellacor
Element Vision LED Desk Lamp
Little Wren Hanging Bird House
Signature Hardware
Fresca Torino 60" Walnut Brown Modern Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with Side Cabi
Modern Bathroom
Grand Fir Artificial Christmas Tree with Wheeled Stand - 7-1/2'
Grandin Road
Alfresco Home Recco Mosaic Outdoor Bakers Rack - 28-9282
$589.00 | Hayneedle
Santiago Rod Pocket 96-inch Curtain Panel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™