Broken socket

pump_toadDecember 21, 2009

I am sure this is a very dumb question but I need to ask for my peace of mind.I was throwing a blanket up to a shelf in a closet and hit a old fashioned light socket. The bulb fell out and I notice the socket is split.I tried the bulb and it does light but I don't want to use it that way. Have taken the bulb out so want to know if it is safe that way until I call a electrican.

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

It's very likely safe. The main thing to worry about is if a wire got detached or moved, but I doubt that that would happen just by cracking the socket. However, when you say the bulb fell out, do you mean the whole thing, including the base of the bulb?...because that could be a more serious problem indicating greater damage. If you do have major damage, it would be best if you could throw the breaker for that light until the electrician shows up.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 3:12PM
pharkus

I think a deeper issue is the presence of an open lampholder in a clothes closet.

bad, bad, bad.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 4:20PM
pump_toad

Thanks, for your replies. Yes the whole bulb fell out in one piece so evidently I didn't have it screwed in very tight. Think I had better call someone to fix it.
Lois

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 4:43PM
kudzu9

pharkus makes a great point that I completely zoned out on. While your install may have been legal many years ago, it's not something that's allowed by code anymore because of the fire hazard risk from say, a blanket that is in proximity to the bulb, and the bulb getting turned on accidentally.

I'm glad you're getting an electrician in. Just make sure he puts in an allowed fixture, rather than simply replacing the bulbholder.

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™