Range wiring eccentricity

oxfordmomDecember 14, 2009

Okay, so I am not sure if this is strange or not but since a lot of the wiring in our house seems to have been by a three year old I was hoping that you all could give me some guidance.

We have a separate cooktop and wall oven, each of which is wired to its own breaker. However, each is wired to two 30 Amp circuits- e.g. the cooktop is wired to 10 and 12 on the panel and the oven is wired to 9 and 11 on the panel . Our new range that we want to install requires 40 amps. My question is this: do two 30 Amp circuits equal a 60 amp circuit or do we need to get the whole thing redone to support the new range?

I am calling in an electrician for a separate wiring issue in the kitchen so I am having him look at this as well, but I was hoping to have some idea of whether I am looking at additional expenditures for this as well. Not to mention, is this to code or do we have another strange wiring job on out hands? Thank you all for your time and I hope you can help me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

Perfectly normal for a range and separate cook top. You will need a new 40 or 50 amp circuit ran. Don't let the electrician attempt to raise the breaker or combine the 2, a very few out there would and it would be far from meeting code.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 12:48PM
oxfordmom

Well that's not at all what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for your response! I guess we can give the electrician a little more money.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 9:56PM
joed

Two breakers supplying 30 amps is not a 60 amp circuit. It is a 240 volt 30 amp circuit.
You new stove will likely require a 8/3 cable and 40 amp ciruit. If one of the cable is #8 then the breaker can be changed. Otherwise a new cable is needed.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Sponsored Products
New Pakistani Peshawar Washed Out Ivory Chobi Hand Knotted Wool Rug H6037
BH Sun Inc
Yosemite Home Decor 72 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Venetian Bronze 72DRVB
$37.80 | Home Depot
nw-b LED Puck Light Kit Black Finish Neutral White
EnvironmentalLights.com
30 High Power LED Rectangle PCB Lamp w/ Wedge Base
Super Bright LEDs
Edinburgh Rectangular Wall Sconce by ET2 Lighting
$136.00 | Lumens
Eware 92214IVS Steam Cooker
Overstock.com
Cirque 72003 Drum Pendant by ELK Lighting
$370.00 | Lumens
18-Inch Square Orange-Red and Parchment Patterned Linen Pillow Cover with Poly I
$51.60 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™