Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

Patrice492December 27, 2012

Recently we replaced our electrical cooktop with a new unit. The new cooktop was a bit smaller in size than the hole on the countertop, so a bracket was made. This bracket is metal & is evenly fitted along the edges of the cooktop. My problem arrives after I have used the cooktop. The cooktop is off & has cooled, so I wipe it down, the moment my hands touch the metal edging I get this sharp shock. Sometimes while washing my dishes (sink is within 2 ft of cooktop and I pick up a pot off the stove or brush my hand near the edging - I get this shock that runs right up my arms. Last night, it ran thru both arms - I was washing silverware at the time. This thing is scaring me so much. Is it just something that needs to be grounded or is the metal edging around the stovetop creating more problems. I love the looks of this - but am afraid of use it. ANy advise is greatfully apprieciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If you mean more than just a single shock like when you scuff your shoes on the rug and touch something metal (i.e., soemthing that persists as long as you are in contact with the unit)...Please go down and turn off the breaker to the cooktop. You have a serious installation error here or defect in the unit (or both). The exposed metal should be bonded to ground which will both keep you from getting a shock but also trip the breaker when something energizes the unit like this.

Have a qualified person come in and check it out.

    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 10:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh ya - its like a shock Ive never felt before. I think it has something to do with the metal edging - not the cooktop at all.

    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You're not experiencing a shock when you touch the cooking surface because the cooking surface is glass which is an electrical insulator. As Ron said, turn off the breaker IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT use the unit until it has been inspected by a qualified person.

This post was edited by mike_kaiser on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 12:12

    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 12:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The cooktop is definitely something to worry about, but when you get a licensed electrician in to fix it have him or her check out all that is going on in the backsplash. Before you turn the breaker for the cooktop blank out that receptacle and forget about it.

    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Eh? It's a dumb place to put it, but I can guess that it's a required receptacle because they didn't place sufficient ones to the left and right of the cooktop.
The scary thing is what is that cord heading vertically from the receptacle?

    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 11:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

210.52(C)(1)Exception makes it not required. As pictured in the top of this thread it is a dangerous but attractive nuisance.

    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 1:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You can't say that without knowing if there are other receptacles covering the required areas *OTHER THAN THE WHERE THE COOKTOP IS*. Your suggestion to just cover that one up is ILLEGAL unless the countertops to the right and left meet the requirements of 210.52.

    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What I can say is this: I am a professional firefighter with over 30 years of experience in a medium sized department. We are not particularly busy, but we generally arrive at an address within 5 minutes of an alarm notification. I have been to two separate fatal fires in daylight hours where an adult female occupant was the sole victim and the cause was clothing ignited by the top of a stove. I'm not sure about the source of power in one of the incidents but the other involved an electric range. Property damage in both cases was limited to smoke and water so it's not like they were trapped in something that turned into an inferno. There was no alcohol or drug involvement and no physical or mental deficiency or disability.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

So, that still doesn't justifying making one unsafe situation into another unsafe situation. The electrical codes exist for fire safety as well (they are authored by the National Fire Protection Association). You can not just cap off those receptacles unless there are sufficient other receptacles. The argument is that people will run extension cords to make the appliances work on the areas no longer served. Having an extension cord running across the back of the cooktop doesn't make your idea a whole lot safer.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The plug & cords on the back wall have nothing to do with the cooktop. The cooktop is all wired underneath, I do have an electrician coming out soon. Seems that only water (wet hands or a dish rag) cause a shock and only when in contact with the metal edging.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

We're not arguing that. It was silly to put the outlet there, but it may have to stay. The scary thing is what is that wire running UP the wall from the receptacle behind the cooktop.

Water or not, coming in contact with exposed metal on an appliance shouldn't cause a shock. My guess is that this doesn't have a proper ground (legal in certain groundfather places) and the groundED conductor has some issue with it but anything is possible.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That cord is the plug for the range/hood, it plugs into that receptical.

    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 10:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The outlet for a range/hood should be up behind said range/hood, not down on the backsplash.

    Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 2:49PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Stella Ceiling Fan
MC 134717-R 5C Green Wire 100 LED Christmas Net Light
Sunpentown Portable Electric Hand Warmer - SH-113FB
$31.98 | Hayneedle
LEM Piston Barstool
Italy Design
Tribeca Snow White Energy Star 60-Inch Ceiling Fan
$319.00 | Bellacor
Tunto | LED1 Table Lamp
$616.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™