Wiring Branch Circuit and Box Fill

mark_anderson_usDecember 1, 2010

Hi All

About to embark on rewire of first floor of my house and much of second floor while I can EMT between floors (don't ask: chicago).

I'll be running 3/4 EMT in basement with stub ups to outlets. There are some locations where I could feed a good lenght of EMT through stud wall (near door openings) and I wanted to check that the porposed wiring plan was OK and if there are any special calculations of the proposed plan. Below is a link to the plan.

http://www.anderson-mark.com/Photos/images/OutletWiring.jpg

Is there any issue branching off to 3 receptacles and then branching off to another (or another run of 3)?

Box fill

I want to check I'm interpreting the NEC box fill correctly. If I have 12/2 that passes through unbroken it counts as two. If another 12/2 comes in, is pigtailed to an outlet and then exits too (i.e. it branches like the two in the basement in above diagram), it counts as 6. All grounds count as 1. Do the cable clamps where the EMT enters the box count as 1 as well?

Thanks

mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"Do the cable clamps where the EMT enters the box count as 1 as well?"

Only internal box cable clamps count (used for AC and NM) and if you are using EMT you should not have any.

The EMT to box fastener is external (the lock nut and small protrusion into the box do NOT count).

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 9:37AM
terribletom

Just curious...

To follow up on Brick's comment: Since you mention "12/2" and cable clamps, are you pulling cables in the EMT or single conductors (e.g., THHN)? If you're using NM (a.k.a. "Romex") or MC/AC (a.k.a. "BX"), why?

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 12:14PM
mark_anderson_us

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pulling single THHN in EMT. Has to be rigid for local code.

Regards

Mark

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 4:20PM
joed

Your using EMT there will be no cable clamps.
Yes it counts as 6.

If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 8:48AM
groundrod

joed
It is simply not true that: If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them. there is way too much electrical misinformation out there already, so please stop saying things that are just not true.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 9:21AM
ecranny

I have an additional question about box fill calculations. In the OP's example - 12/2 passing through unbroken, 12/2 entering, pigtailed to outlet and then exiting - would the count be 9 in this case? (A single yoke receptacle counting as 2, ground as 1)

Would this be the maximum for a 4 x 1.5 square box?

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 11:59AM
btharmy

"joed
It is simply not true that: If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them. there is way too much electrical misinformation out there already, so please stop saying things that are just not true."

That's a whole other post for another day.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 4:36PM
terribletom

"Would this be the maximum for a 4 x 1.5 square box?"

Referring to NEC Table 314.16(A), the volume of a trade size 4 x 4 x 1.5 box is listed as being only 21 cubic inches. 9 units (wires + fixtures) at #12AWG requires 20.25 ci so, yeah, it's basically full.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 5:44PM
DavidR

Mark, this question and many more are answered in the classic Wiring Simplified. If you don't have a copy, I suggest getting one right away. It helped me get started many years ago, and I still refer to it today.

As usual, the link is for reference and not an endorsement. Home Depot used to carry this book and may still.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiring Simplified

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™