Dryer wire size

ipenoviceDecember 14, 2009

I am moving my laundry room and was planning on running 10-3/wg wire to the dryer. I was told that since the dryer is going to be just about 50 feet from the main panel, that I should run 8-3 w/g instead. Is this correct? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

Not neccessary. 30' is not a long distance. 10/3 on 30 amp breaker is fine.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 9:03AM
terribletom

Agree. With a 50 foot 240V run, you'll experience very little voltage drop. For a standard dryer, bumping to #8 is a waste of money.

Just out of curiosity, where'd you get this advice?

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 10:38AM
ipenovice

terribletom,

I got the advise from an electrician that said since I have a high end dryer which draws a bit more than a standard dryer and since the run was going to be 50 feet, I should consider the #8. I am all for saving money, but not where electric is involved. I am adding this run while my walls are all stripped bare for the remodel. Can't change it later without tearing everything up. I am just in the planning stage and want to have all my ducks in a row. If you feel #10 will work with no issues, I will use it. Just want to make sure. thanks for the respone.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 12:52PM
bigbird_1

Around 75+ feet you need to go with the next lower gauge of wire. High end dryer or not, if it's rated 30A, then #10 is fine as everyone has already stated. Either your sparky has forgotten his voltage drop distances, or he's trying to use up his extra stove wire instead of buying more dryer wire.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 1:22PM
ipenovice

Thanks bigbird. Your response made me LOL. He probably does have a roll of #8 sitting around. I will be using #10. Thanks to everyone for the responses. This site has never failed to answer one of my questions.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 1:45PM
billhart

If he is trying to use up extra #8, ask him if he can supply it for the same price as #10.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
growingadvice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™