How to hardwire under-cabinet lights

mark_anderson_usDecember 7, 2010

Hi All

I'm remodeling my kitchen and will be install hardwire under cabinet lights. This is my first go at installing hard-wired ones. I'm a bit lost on termination method/location. How are these normally installed (to meet code). I'm in Chicago, so have added complication that everything must be in pipe

I have 4 runs of wall cabinets where I will need to wire these. Do I leave a JB exposed inside each wall cabinet run.

Regards

mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

A JB in each run is one method.

Note that the small appliance branch circuits feeding the wall-counter receptacles CANNOT be the source of power for the lights.

They need a separate circuit (though you may be able to share a refrigerator circuit, a general lighting circuit, or a garbage disposal 7 dishwasher circuit).

The usual sticking point is that none of the wiring can be concealed in the walls unless it is an NEC approved method of wiring.

By leaving the low voltage wiring on the bottom of the cabinets exposed (it can still be hidden from view in plastic 'tracks') you get around the concealed wiring rules.

Low voltage wiring can also have connections that are NOT in a junction box.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 4:19PM
samneric

Note that the small appliance branch circuits feeding the wall-counter receptacles CANNOT be the source of power for the lights. They need a separate circuit (though you may be able to share a refrigerator circuit, ...)

The lights can't be on a refrigerator circuit. 210.52(B)1 requires that kitchen (etc) receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment be supplied by either the SA circuits or else an individual branch circuit.

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 7:13AM
mark_anderson_us

Thanks Guys

I'm running totally separate EMT and wires for under cabinets, so it sounds like I can run EMT to the back of the cabinet and then connect to either flex or some kind of raceway.

Anyone know the NEC section no for low voltage rules?

Regards

Mark

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 7:48AM
brickeyee

"The lights can't be on a refrigerator circuit. 210.52(B)1..."

Check with your AHJ about what revision of the NEC you are under.

Not all have this restriction.

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™