Adding a 220V line for new range

tomforlifeDecember 9, 2009

Purchased a dual fuel range. Electric oven requires 220V. Can I run a 220V wire myself? Have little experience with electricity but understand that I'll need to deenergize, find (or install) a double breaker to which the two hot lines will be connected,take the wire from the basement to the point in the kitchen where the range will be located, and install the 220V receptacle. The receptacle is the only thing I'm not sure of. Do I find a stud and attach it like the 110 receptacles have been installed? Does a 220V receptacle sit in the wall like the 110V receptacles, or must they be attached to the face of the wall? Got a bid for $215 for this work and then I'm tied to the electrician's schedule which might not work in time for the range delivery. And could use the money elsewhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

From the sound of it, the $215 might be well spent. Besides, $215 sound WAY cheap to do a job like this.

You are under the typical misconception that "110" and "220" are all that matters.

An electric range is normally a 120/240v load, requiring a 4-wire 120/240v circuit and receptacle.
This circuit has two hots, neutral and ground.
Next is the amperage. How big does the circuit need to be??? "220" or 240v has NOTHING to do with capacity.

Again, a typical free standing household range would be on a 40A or 50A circuit.

The easiest way in a finished setting would be to use a surface mount range receptacle.

Does the $215 man have insurance? License (if required)? A real truck and tools? If so then I suggest have him do it.
If you are very confident that this is something you want to attempt then post back any other questions you might have.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 7:35AM
brickeyee

"Again, a typical free standing household range would be on a 40A or 50A circuit."

The typical 'Dual Fuel' units are electric oven and gas burners on top.
Depending on the size, many smaller units only need a 30 A 120/240 V, and a few are straight 240 V loads.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 8:54AM
weedmeister

Going into the circuit panel to create a new 220v line is not something for the unintiated, IMHO.

But what you COULD do is purchase and run the wire yourself while not making the connections at either end. You can ask for the wire size based on the amperage of the stove and the distance it needs to run. Leave extra length at both ends (couple of feet) so the electrician has enough to work with for insertion in the panel.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:06AM
petey_racer

You are right brick. Dual fuel's are typically 30A.
I was referring to an "all electric" free standing range.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:09AM
tomforlife

Thanks everyone for your input. I ran a 220volt line for a dryer in the other house by myself when I was a young man of 29, with the advice of a friend who said he knew how to do it. Didn't seem so hard then but I'm much more cautious at 57.

The spec for the electrical power for the dual fuel range I found on the website is:
Power Source:
Min. Amp Load: 20 amp circuit min.
Power Source: Dual fuel

The gentlemen who gave me the $215 bid wrote the parts and labor on the estimate as:
Run a 12-3 from the basement panel, drill the floor
and add a 20 amp plug, box and plate for a new
oven. Install a 20 amp 2 pole breaker in the
basement
25ft 12-3 wire, staples, box, 250 volt plug, plate, 2-
pole braker

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 11:25AM
kudzu9

tomswpa-
If that guy is competent, I'd take him up on it. That's inexpensive for the labor/parts involved, and you are not quite knowledgeable enough to be absolutely sure it's right if you do it yourself. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 4:13PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I just saw a dual fuel range that called for a 40 amp circuit. Apparently electrical requirements are all over the place. Which should be a reminder to read the manufacturer's requirements, not guess.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 4:26PM
andrelaplume2

In this age of lawsuits I wonder how many electricians would allow the person to run the wire themselves...ie just merley hook it up the ends....?

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Swimming pool wiring
I have 2 gfci circuits operating two pool pumps. Is...
dalemd88
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Sponsored Products
Silo Satin Aluminum 5" High ADA Outdoor Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Green/Gold 2 ft. 3 in. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
AM2C Floor Lamp by Nemo
$1,747.20 | Lumens
Cream Braids Shade Brass Beaded Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Illusion Suspension by ET2 Lighting
$998.00 | Lumens
ELK Lighting Elysburg Chandelier 7636/5 - 25W in. Nickel - 7636/5
$350.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™