Making of holiday lighting

huskeDecember 7, 2011

Hi.I am wanting to make holiday lighting,such as a cross for example or a rabbit,with lightbulbs,prolly 60 watter's. I did some of this in high school,but thats been 35 years ago and don't remember it all. I would start by buying "lampholders" and outdoor wire,and pretty much from there,I am sure I would burn the barn down if I wired it like I would. I want to mount this on 2by4's or 2 by 6's and have it so I can "plug" it in to a "recepticle". I live up on a hill and want to mount the project on the side of my barn for all of the passerby's to enjoy.I am assuming I would use 20 or better of the lampholder's. Please and thank you for your expertise. Daryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Even if you don't 'burn the barn down', you might encounter difficulties in making the lighting water tight in order to prevent shorting out and being a shock hazard.
Twenty 60 watt lights will be more illumination than you probably need. Also, rain or snow landing on a hot bulb could cause it to break.
I would get one or more strings of outdoor mini-lights and attach them to the barn in the desired outline.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 5:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lbpod

A Christmas Rabbit?
KEWL !!!!!

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™