Replacing a Plug (Cord Cap) on a space heater?

circuitbreakerDecember 22, 2011

I have an older Delongi Oil filler radiator and the plug burned up because the outlet was not making good contact (Older GFCI, Which I will replace also)

Both the plug and receptacle were noticeably melted on the hot side (However the GFI did not trip and when I pushed the test button now it just buzzes and will now trip the breaker in the 20A kitchen circuit) Anyway is there any tips on how to replace the cord cap on the heater? The heater wire is the high temperature 16 Gauge x 2 conductors and is not grounded

Is there a special way to terminate the cord cap or even a special part brand or model number that I should use? All I can find for heavy duty cord caps are the grounding style which I assume I can't use as the heater has no grounding wire

PS: I don't want to throw out the heater as it still works and it is not one of the ones that are made in China (Made in England) so I rather keep it (Plus it was an expensive heater)


The heating system in my house is fine I just use it so I don't have to keep the thermostat so high to save a few $


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What was wrong with the answer you received before?

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacing a Plug (Cord Cap) on a space heater?

    Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 8:30AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™