Fixture Crossbar is it nessary

circuitbreakerDecember 13, 2010

I bought a cheap fixture to replace a broken one (I dropped the glass) and the crossbar does not line up (Well it does but the fixture screws block it from sitting flush) However it will line up and mount with out it so can I mount it directly to the J-Box? I really want to get this project over but I don't want my fixture to fall on me in the middle of the night (It is a standard fixture and the box is plastic)

Thanks

PS Do I have 90C wiring? It says use only 90C wiring. My place was built around 1994-6 (It was built in stages, A big village of apartment houses)

Thanks again

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The crossbar is only required when the fixture has a different screw spacing than the box.

If the insulation is about 1/16 inch thick it is NOT 90 C.

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 9:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Just as a matter of note, most areas allow homeowners to work on their own owner-occupied home's wiring with a permit. If you don't own your apartment, you can't work on the wiring in it; and if you own it but aren't living in it, you can't work on it either.

Changing a light fixture isn't that big a deal. But if I were your landlord I'd tell you that you should call me and I'd have a pro take care of it.

As a property owner, that's in my best interest. You should see some of the hack jobs that my tenants have done (without asking first, of course). :(

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™