convience outlet by spa

scalawagyDecember 25, 2012

I am installing a hot tub and need to add a 120V outlet. There will be a 50 amp breaker in the main panel, supplying a 50 amp gfci panel near the tub. 4 #6 conductors thru a 1" conduit. I am wondering if I can run a single #12 conductor, protected by a 15 or 20 amp breaker in the main panel, thru the same conduit, passing thru the spa box, to a gfci outlet in a box next to the spa box. Then use short lengths of #12 back to the neutral and ground bars in the spa box? Thus using the #6 neutral and ground to complete the 120V circuit.
I know it will "work", but is there some reason it should not be done in this manner?

Thanks for your time
Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Note that this must not be closer than six feet.

You can NOT bootleg the neutral or ground from the 50A spa branch circuit for a convenience outlet circuit. Either run a full separate branch circuit or make your "spa box" a subpanel and put the branch circuit breaker there.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 3:18AM
petey_racer

Is this an indoor or outdoor spa?

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 7:30AM
Ron Natalie

Makes little difference if we're talking about a residence. While the rules waggle around a bit, both require the convenience outlet.
Outdoor 680.2(A)(3)
Indoor 680.43(A)

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 8:32AM
scalawagy

Thanks ronnatalie, I will run the additional #12 conductors back to the main panel.

petey racer, it will be outdoor.

still curious as to why my original thought of "bootlegging" the neutral and ground is unsafe or wrong. not arguing, just asking.

Thanks again

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 12:23PM
Ron Natalie

It's wrong because the code says it is.

It's technically possible to overload the neutral, and your ground may not be sufficiently safe.

One thing you should check, is whether there's any requirement to run a neutral to the spa at all. Most of the ones I've seen (including all three I've installed), just use 240 (two hots) and a ground.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 8:46AM
scalawagy

The information I've got says it's a 120/240V hot tub and that it needs all four wires. It has a 1/15 hp circulation pump and an ozonator that I assume are both 120V and the heater and jet pump are 240V, I haven't seen a wiring diagram of the unit beyond the connection box yet. There is also an air blower and light.
As I type this I realize there are probably enough 120V components, that they would pull 120 from both phases to help balance the neutral load. I originally assumed it would draw 120 from only one phase and I was going to connect my convenience outlet to the other.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:37AM
Ron Natalie

What model spa? Mine has a 240V circulator pump (it's still very low number of watts). The lighting is almost always 12V stuff anyhow.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:39AM
scalawagy

Wind River, their Virtue model.

windriverspas.com

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:52AM
Ron Natalie

Yep, you're right. That spa does use the neutral.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™