LED cost Vs Savings

andrelaplume2November 12, 2013

I figured you guys could answer this. I bought LED color xmas lights over the past few years for our indoor tree...usually on clearance at year's end. Now the wife wants white. Well, the LEDs don't all look like there incandescent brethren. The ones that do cost a fortune...$11 for 50 lights and I need 500.

I started to wonder what the real advantage of the LEDs are? My experience with the color ones are that they don't last any longer than regular ones before they go out.

Savings?
Am I right in assuming that a strand of 100 incandescent use 40 watts. I can string 5 sets together. That's 500 lights at 200 watts. If my electric is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour (sound right for northeast usa?), Then I use a kilowatt every 5 hours. If lights are on for 10 hours a day...thats 20 cents a day to run them. Or $12 for two months. The LEDS cost maybe 1/5 of that to run or a couple of bucks....but the dog gone lights will cost me $80 more than regular ones...Is my math bad...what am I missing here!!! What's the advantage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar

You're correct. Only buy what you like. The LED's have a high mortality so you'll be replacing more strings as well as spending more per string.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 11:51PM
bus_driver

One consideration is how much cord and circuit capacity is required for large numbers of incandescent lamps. For a given lumens output, the incandescents may require 5 times the amperage input compared to the LEDs.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 10:09AM
andrelaplume2

yes, that's why I bought them at season end for outside...did not have to worry about blowing fuses and what not....but inside, on a tree...I figure its like running a 200 watt light bulb...I do notice they run hotter than the LEDS...so long as they are safe though...

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
growingadvice
Searching Electrical Wiring board
Is there a way to search the Electrical Wiring board...
roofman86
Sponsored Products
Burnished Outdoor 22 Inch Wall Light -Burnished Rust
$169.10 | Bellacor
WAC New Construction 3000K 11-W LED 4" IC Recessed Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Batman vs. The Joker Salt & Pepper Shakers
$12.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting LED Antique Bronze 24 in. Undercabinet Light P7013-20
Home Depot
New Hand Knotted 10' Heriz Serapi Veg Dyed Rust & Navy Oriental Wool Rug H3656
BH Sun Inc