220 Outlet Inset Into Wall?

OrchidOCDNovember 23, 2011

This is likely a silly question, but of all household 'stuff', I know the least about eletrical wiring, so hoping a kind soul can answer the question...

Is there any reason/requirement for a 220v outlet to be installed as a surface-mount box instead of inset into the wall the way normal 110v/120v outlets are normally installed? The reason I ask is because the 220v outlet for my kitchen range is surface-mounted on the baseboard, which keeps the range pushed out several inches from the wall instead of being as flush to the wall as possible. The supply wire is inside the wall, and seems to have been pulled though a drilled hole in the drywall above the baseboard and then fed into the surface-mount box.

I'm planning on having an electrician in for several other items ( some additional 110/120 outlets and ceiling lights added in a couple of rooms), and if there's no real reason for the surface-mount range outlet other than that the builder chose to do it that way, I'll be adding changing the range outlet to an inset outlet to the wishlist. Is there any reason/code requirement why this should't be done?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Maybe the outlet can be moved up. Our range is recessed behind the bottom drawer to allow for the outlet and plug.

Also see the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: in wall outlet

    Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you very much! My range has a recess too, but it doesn't match up with the location of the surface mount outlet. The link you posted was extremely helpful - this is getting added to the electrical wishlist. :-). Thank you again - Happy Thanksgiving!

    Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 9:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry hendricus, but links like that scare the crap out of me. ESPECIALLY from a garbage place like e-how.com

They GREATLY oversimplify things and are VERY often vague on codes.

    Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 10:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ity can be recessed in thewall, or even teh baseboard.

If it is a 3-wire circuit moving it may invoke the requirement to upgrade to 4-wire.

You may need to work on the cable a little to get enough slack if you want to move it up, but you also need to check the ranges installation instructions.

They may have identified an allowed are for the receptacle.

    Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 10:18AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™