9ft 14/3 Medium-Duty extension cord

acehNovember 4, 2011

Would it be ok to use a 9ft 14/3 Medium-Duty extension cord with a 1500 watt portable electric heater?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

Yes, but only for temporary use (in that you have an eye on it). And make sure it is a halfway decent UL listed cord, not an imported knock off that has terrible connectors. Anything more than using the heater while attending the room, I wouldn't use a cord at all. Add an outlet where it is needed and run a new circuit. When connection to existing outlets, often normal branch circuits barely take the load, if any of the outlets are back stabbed (not using the screw terminals), be ready for loose connections to start burning apart.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 9:41PM
aceh

The cord is UL Listed : 4-UL Certified from Home Depot. Only the heater will be used with it.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 9:47PM
spencer_electrician

Again on the leaving it unattended, that would be my only worry. The space heaters often say "do not use extension cord" But that is mainly to keep idiots from using their 18 gauge lamp cord to extend it. The constant 1500 watt load is tough on connectors and adding a cord creates more potential for a connector to overheat and possibly start a fire. If your using it all the time, it would be best to add an outlet. If your using it to place the heater in a certain spot for temporary things, I wouldn't worry about using a cord.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™